Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
What can I take, or do, to relieve occasional bleeding, from hemorrhoids?
RodAtWork posted:
I've had hemorrhoids for a few years now. Basically, I've learned how to live with this condition. At work and at home, I have a pillow that I sit on, when I have to sit (I work as a computer programmer, so I have to do a lot of sitting). Also, as much as possible, I get up for frequent, short (<5 minutes) breaks, which I've found really help me a lot.

But some times I have to sit for long periods of time in other offices, or meetings, etc. In such situations I am at a real disadvantage. I have to be there for 2 to 3 hours at a time. When that happens, I'm in trouble. What can I do to help stop the bleeding? I figure that taking aspirin isn't a good idea, so what else can I do?

misskatmama responded:
Hi Rod,
I just signed up here and saw your plea. I am wondering if you have seen a doctor yet for your condition. I know some people may be reluctant due to the nature of the condition. I was that way. But it is a very common condition. However, i worry that yours keep bleeding. Sounds like your job,coupled with the condition is very stressful. Mine only got better with a combination of measures that I took. After having the problem for months, my doctor prescribed hydrocortisone suppositories. Very simple and easy. it may be a little painful at first, but once you use a few times, it helps tremendously to heal and protect during the bowel movement. I used Ibuprofen to help with inflammation and swelling during the healing process. But since you are bleeding alot, that would have to be for your doctor to decide. Witch hazel on a soft cotton ball or cotton pad dabbed gently helps alot to soothe the pain. believe it or not, listerine dabbed in this manner is very pain relieving. It takes a little time, but I have not had problems for years once I got it under control. I wish you the best and hope you feel better soon.

RodAtWork replied to misskatmama's response:
I have brought this up before with my doctor, but perhaps I'd better do it again, because the issue hasn't ever been addressed properly to my satisfaction. Thank you for your suggestions! I'll check them out.

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website