Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
I look like I am about 4 months pregnant from stomach bloating.
An_252154 posted:
I look like I am about 4 -5 months pregnant from stomach bloating. I have gained 50 lbs in four months. I went from a size 10 to a 16W. I have never weighed this much in my life. I exercise in the elliptical, and treadmill, and walk 1-2 miles to music each week. I am severly constipated without merilac and constipated with it. No matter what I eat or drink even water bloats my stomach. I was tested for lactose intolerant and I am not. I cannot pass gas and belch only with the help of gas x. I had a Nissan surgery for acid reflux about 3 years ago. I have gone to the gastroenterologist several times, I have had upper and lower endoscopes, stomach exrays, drank colored fluid and they took exrays as it digested. No one can find out what's wrong. It's has been going on for 4 years. My stomach hardly ever goes down and if it does as soon as I drink water to take my vitamins it starts all over again. I am on currently taking amatiza and probiotics. I see no difference. The amitoza caused a worse constipation. I have no pain except for gas in my stomach from time to time. I do not eat fried or greasy foods. I juice 16 oz. fruits and vegetables 3-4 times a week The weight gain concerns me because I do not want to become a diabetic, with high cholesterol, high blood pressure. I have no pain. My physical went really well accept for the aforementioned problem. I am a 55 yr old female. Do you have any suggestions as to what is going on and how I can stop gaining weight. My average weight is 140-145 lbs.

Josepht responded:
I cannot tell you why you are gaining so much weight but I can suggest some books that really help me with my digestion

1) Dr Jensons guide to better bowel care -this one is great for constipation and any issues with the digestion tract as reflux is often related to constipation, and too little stomach acid.

let me know how this helps this is the best book I have ever read on digestion Dr. jenson is so passionate he is always seeking out the best for his patients amazon sells it for 3 dollars!
I hope this helps!

Juanie replied to Josepht's response:
Thank, I will get the book. I know the weight gain is due to the stomach bloating. When I am not bloated I do not gain weight. Thanks again.

An_252231 responded:
Consider getting tested for celiac disease (sometimes called coeliac in England). It is an autoimune reaction to the gluten protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. Symptoms are described as Abdominal pain and cramping, and bloatedness with abdominal distension (thought to be due to fermentative production of bowel gas).

grams01 responded:
Have you had your thyroid checked? I gained 15 pound in three months

tonks responded:
I'm a 61 year old woman and when I complained about my digestive problems the doctor said it was my age. I knew it was much more so I investigated on my own. Discovered I was lactose intolerant, so cutting out all dairy made a huge difference. Still got very bloated and uncomfortable when I ate ANYTHING. So I tried taking enzymes everytime I eat and it's made a world of difference. I've found the RAW enzymes with probiotics work the best.

Juanie replied to grams01's response:
Yes, I have no thyroid problems

Juanie replied to An_252231's response:
Ok I will follow my primary for the celiac.

turvaville1952 responded:
I have been going through the same thing since 1998 and I just wanted you to know I feel your pain ! I too was tested for lactose and the results where the same as yours but I still cannot have dairy of any kind . Sometimes I look more like nine months ! Its hard to fine clothes that fit and the weight gain is the same as you . 2012 was the worse year ever . So, in the last five months I have had five test done at the hospital and was on my way to see the gastroenterologist for the second time but its not going to do any good . Do you have to go to bed on some days ? After 13 doctors and no answers I think I'll just save my money ! Good luck to you and may someday we will feel better .

Juanie replied to turvaville1952's response:
Hi, thank you for your support.

I will continue to fight until I get a result. I don't want to look like this. Going from a size 8/10 to 16w in less than 6 months is awful especially when I have not done anything different in my diet, exercise, eating habits, and multi vitamins intake. I also lost weight drastically about 2 years ago. I went from size 14 down to size 8 in about 4 months and could not stop loosing weight. Everybody thought I had cancer. Then my weight leveled off and for about 2 years my life was back to normal. Then out of the blue last year the sudden weight again came right back. It's is the weirdest thing I have ever seen. I do nothing different to gain or lose the weight. I know there is an answer out there somewhere. And I am determined to find it.

Meeralee replied to tonks's response:
so glad to see your information. I am 65 and cannot eat wheat, all my symptoms target celiac. Have gone gluten free, however still have days of uncomfortable bloating, sometimes just looking at food will bring it on. hoping enzymes will help. thank you tonks

1lisatagrl responded:
dont have an anwser for you but your problems sounds like mine. i have gained about 35lbs in 6mths and i look like i am 5mths pregnant! i dont know what to do but i wish all the best to you.
take care

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website