Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Gassy for A While Now...Help!
An_252236 posted:
I know there is something wrong with me because I haven't always been like this. Okay, so a little over a year ago, I started to have a really bad gassy problem. No matter what I ate, or how many times I "did number two," I ALWAYS had to flatulate really bad. I was diagnosed with lactose intolerance but I knew that couldn't be the only problem. I use Lactaid pills and avoid dairy as much as possible. I always joke around and say "water could make me gassier than dairy ever would." But it's not entirely false. MANY things make me gassier than dairy. I think ALL foods make me gassy. Another change I've notice is I get a LOT of tonsil stones. Tonsil stones are cause by calcium buildup, but I barely even get calcium! I am almost always in discomfort and I've done many medical tests but my doctors can't seem to find anything wrong with me. I've had an X-Ray of my abdomen to check for constipation, but everything seemed OK. I've even got blood work done and urine tests...nothing. I DO chew a lot of gum and I know that can cause gas. But first, I highly doubt GUM can make me feel such pain and discomfort all the time. Second, I only chew gum during school. And for like spring/winter breaks, I don't chew gum because I'm not in close contact with people, yet I STILL have bad gas.I don't know what's wrong with me! I didn't always have such bad gas so I know that there has to be a problem.

Take the Poll

Is there something wrong with me, or am I just crazy?
  • Something is wrong with you
  • You're Crazy
  • It's normal fart a lot, you're human
vote
View Poll Results

An_252236 responded:
Also, I forgot to add that it's HARD for me to "do number 2." As in, even when I haven't done it in a while, when I try to force myself to do it, nothing will come out at all! It's not that my actual stool is too hard but I just don't feel the need to "do number 2." I think my problem has something to do with my stomach and it not being able to properly digest ANYTHING (not just dairy).

An_252236 replied to An_252236's response:
Back again! I also notice that in school, when I'm about to fall asleep, the urges to flatulate don't come as much or as strong. This only happens when I'm in a relaxed, sleepy mode though. I don't know what that could mean...

Larry_Hoberman replied to An_252236's response:
Dear An_252236: Sorry to read about the problems you're having with bad gas and constipation. Have your doctors recommended that you take a probiotic? A number of scientific studies have shown how taking a daily probiotic improved issues with constipation and other symptoms like bad gas.

http://www.endomune.com/index.php/blog2012/220-to-go-or-not-to-go-that-is-the-problem

calgal37 responded:
In addition to the probiotic suggestion, which I highly recommend, you may want to ask to be check for food intolerance issues. Although it may sound strange, many individuals find that after they've gone through numerous tests and have been told there's nothing wrong, if they check to find out if there are foods their body might be reacting to and delete them from their diet, a lot of the symptoms disappear.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website