Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
no taste for months and months...
joeinindy posted:
This isn't a digestive disorder but this was the best category to submit my complaint:
I am having issues with my mouth-chiefly, I haven't been able to taste anything for over 6 months now. At times, my tongue will get small areas that look like the outer surface has been burned off, although it's not a burn. It happens especially if I eat anything acidic, like tomatoes, ketchup, strawberries, cherries, salsa, in particular. My saliva reacts to carbonated beverages by causing them to foam up when I take a drink, like hydrogen peroxide foams. It also appears foamy. I feel like there is a coating on my tongue and mouth.
I have seen 5 different doctors-2 internal medicidine, 2 ENT, and a dentist. One treated me for any sort of infection: bacterial, fungal, sinus. The fungal medication seem to cause the patches on my tongue but now they appear at times and I'm not on any specific medication for the symptoms. One ENT did a scope up my nose, checked my hearing and suggested mouthwash containing steroids, which is expensive and my insurance won't cover much of the cost. The latest suggested B-12 supplements as I also suffer from digestive issues. I take Aciphex 20 mg a day for the stomach acid that I get after eating. He suggested that the B-12 has been leached from my system due to years of anti-acid medications. The B-12 did not cause any change. He also indicated that my sinuses appear clear.
The closest case I have found out there was of a man with this condition who had a cyst or tumor in his sinuses that was diagnosed after an MRI. I have kept my sense of smell through this so I am still able to eat although I don' t enjoy it like I want to. The 2nd ENT said that I did not need an MRI.
I thought that it may have been environmental as I moved from an apartment to a motel for a time and now live back in a home, but after 2 months in a different state, the symptoms remain.
I have been a dip-tobacco user for 30 years and get oral cancer screenings. The doctors have found no issues from my usage, although one suggested I stop, and the last suggested I try a different brand to see if that helps. I've stopped for a couple of weeks and tried a different flavor but no change. I don't know if the blend that I used has been changed as I can't enjoy and taste it either like I used to.
It's like my ph or my system is acidic to anything I eat and drink but no one has a solution. Any ideas? Thank you.

Helpful Tips

relief of hemorrhoids
had hemorrhoids for years,tried all the store remedies,nothing worked. when my boys were little we used diaper rash ointment on them(zinc ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website