Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Ischemic Colitis Question
An_252339 posted:
Does anyone have any information about ischemic colitis and birth control pills? I have been on them for about ten years and have UC and IBS, but I never had an episode of ischemic colitis until last week. My colon is badly damaged because of this episode, which was confirmed with colonoscopy and biopsies. However, I've never had any damage from the UC before, so my doctor suggested that it was due to the birth control pills. But I am a bit skeptical. Any help!?!?!?

calgal37 responded:
I believe certain forms of BC are known to predispose someone toward forming blood clots, and it's possible that could easily result in the ischemic state within the circulatory system in the mesentery of the bowel..

chicagogal replied to calgal37's response:
Thanks very much! Do you know if the blood clots can occur after years of taking the pill? Part of my concern is that I have been on the pill for 11 years, and I'm finding it hard to imagine how I could develop a problem after so long.

calgal37 replied to chicagogal's response:
Chicagogal, I think your best bet to get an answer to your question might be by asking your pharmacist. I would have thought that the problem might have shown up earlier if it was going to happen, but a lot of things change as we grow older - no matter what our age.

I understand that anything that predisposes a person to dehydration - even things like medication for high blood pressure since it can promote a lot of urination - can result in the formation of blood clots. So could it be a combination of several things that resulted in the clot formation...................???

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website