Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
IBS? IBD? or what? continued
kadarilla posted:
A year ago I wrote: "I am a 51 year old male. And I have had 2 colonoscopies, upper GI and a CT scan. I have had severe cramps in the pelvic area. worse when I get gas in the rectum and MAJOR relief when it passes. Out of all the tests, nothing has been determined. I also get severe cramps when I have a bowel movement and it turns to a very loose stool. I hate the IBS theory, because the it so general in symptoms and causes. But it seems to lead there time and time again. Also, my lower insides feel swollen, if that makes sense. Any thoughts or advise? I'm at my wits end. My doctor gave me Tramadol and it is almost worthless." I thought I had a solution but I didn't. Here is where I am:A year later I had a HIDA scan and it magnified my symptoms so I had my gallbladder removed. And now my symptom have worsened. Besides the bad cramping in the pelvic area, at it's height I have bloating, real bad gas and when I urinate, I have cramping in my penis. I also have to urinate a lot.Anyone got anything? Please?Thanx,kadarilla

calgal37 responded:
The unfortunate thing for some is removal of the gallbladder can result in the unregulated release of bile into the small intesting and a 'fast-forwarding' of the contents through the system. The whole thing can cause miserable gas, diarrhea, and a lot of cramps due to the 'extra' stimulation of the small and large intestine. If that's part of the problem, you might want to ask your doc if you could try some form of bile-binding resin to see if it helps. A low-fat diet might also help with that problem.

One other thing you might consider is the development of food intolerance issues. They can and do develop later in life and can make a person miserable. Other symptoms, in addition, to those you mentioned might include muscular pain, joint discomfort, headaches or migraines, rashes, 'brain fog,' etc.

calgal37 responded:
P.S. you also might want to consider trying some probiotics. They can help in a number of different digestive conditions. Not a cure, but a good help.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website