Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Constipation. Help!!
tkegal posted:
I started to feel discomfort in my stomach region. Soon, my upper abdomen started ballooning. After a while, I couldn't sit, or lay down comfortably. I could still eat & didn't feel like I had to go to the bathroom. Soon the pain became more than I can handle and I went to see my Dr. He said I had constipation due to some new meds I had been taking. He gave me a prescription for it and told me to drink water and eat lots of green veggies. He told me to return in two weeks if it got worse. Well, it's been three days and I am as bad as ever. I don't feel any improvement. When I came home I tried some Milk of Magnesia, which helped with the pain a little and I had coincidentally gotten a large bag of veggies from our community garden and had a large leafy green salad. I also drank a lot of water and got a little exercise. By that evening, I had a large bowel movement. I was encouraged, but the ballooning in my stomach hadn't improved and I felt as bad as ever.
The next day, however, I felt just as bad. I couldn't find a comfortable spot and my inflated stomach was as bad as ever. Plus, I couldn't go to the bathroom. I figured I went so much the day before that I had nothing left. I suffered the entire night and didn't sleep at all.
Since then, it's been hit or miss. Sometimes I feel a teeny bit of improvement, sometimes my stomach balloons up to the point where I feel like I will explode and eating is not easy. Yesterday all I had was some scrambled eggs in the morning and a small cup of soup for dinner.
Plus, my fingers are cold and numb, which makes things harder.
I have diabetes and the new meds I took were for Neorapathy. I only took the pills that caused the constipation three or four times.
It's been 4 days since I saw my Dr. but I am as bad as ever. My stomach is still ballooning day and night and eating is hard. I drink a ton of water & sometimes still take the Milk of Magnesia. Now I have the runs so bad, I actually went in my sleep. It's mostly just water now.
Am I doing the right things for it? I am trying to deal with my diabetes as well as this issue. I try to keep my meals small and try to add more fruits and veggies. I have also started walking on the treadmill to get more exercise. I am very overweight, and am not sure what to do. Will I feel any relief anytime soon or am I wasting my efforts? I want to get my life back and this is driving me crazy. My Dr. said give it two weeks and if there is improvement, come back. I am tempted to go back now. I am not patient, but I can be if I feel I am on the right track. Please, any advice anyone could give me would be such a big help.

tkegal responded:
Also, I been eating a lot of yogurt and oatmeal. However, the Dr. said not to eat the oatmeal. I thought getting fiber was good? I am so confused!

hmcatee responded:
Look at Gluten Intolerance and or Celiac disease. See if going to a gluten free diet helps. I had the same symptoms as you and stopped eating gluten, I felt better within 3 days. Such a relief.

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website