Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Fundoplication twice, still not OK
MixedPickles posted:
Hello folks!

Hope you could help me finding out what my options are. Anything that comes into your mind, please post. To me this is end of the road, so anything is going to help! Sorry for long post ...

Had fundo twice, still suffering. Daily life like 50%, social life bare minimum.

Relufx problems began during my mid 20s. As with many others suffering from reflux, I've experienced pain and discomfort while having meals, after eating, even with not eating at all my stomach would rebel and moan for now obvious reason. Sound seemed both grotesque and funny (like slapstick movies).

Disease put my social life to a halt. No going out. Pain instead, problems with digestion and bad breath (like acid and rotten meat). In such state, I've been an unbearable guest with any kind of event.

After things got worse on its own, and I've woke up in my puke in the middle of the night, surgery was acknowledged. (Antacids where both expensive and useless, plethora of side effects, made my life worthless!) Just to be clear: pain, bad breath and lots of side effects ... never again!

Finally
surgery (Nissen fundoplication late 20's, hiatus hernia fixed during surgery).

After first surgery, pain was pretty much gone, I could live like 50% of my life, no pills, no midnight puke, yet I still could not eat properly and reflux was still there with bad breath and upset stomach / belly (better than before surgery though!)

Re-fundoplication just weeks ago, appears the first Nissen fundo had loosened, resulting in 180°. Fixed "bad" fundoplication, now floppy Nissen-Rossetti 360°. Now in early 30's, fundo twice, problems persist:

• Bad breath is that one issue that makes my life worthless (no job, no girl / sexuality, no sports, hardly any going out, not that I could enjoy it at least ...). Pain? HUH! Bring it on! Won't stop me. If I'd still feel that much in my chest (nerve cramped?). Issue got better, but not gone.
  • Eating (calories!) became more like planning and logistics, I need to eat fast food and sweets like people get really jealous why can that guy eat crap like that and loose weight! Reduced stomach volume.
  • Everything seems to be OK, until I eat or try to move more than average, lift stuff, laugh or cough (!), bending down, banter / girls, do sports, chores, fool around (sitting at a desk and typing this hardly causes problems, say playing basketball would)
  • Whatever I do that could be considered living and moving and fun, even after fundo twice, as soon as I try, contents of my stomach still comes back, causes little pain, but bad breath and discomfort. Sometimes food will not go all the way down. Thus, no social life. No life at all. Just sit and wait the day to pass. Read more books. Boring. Useless. A cripple. F... up. Worthless. Sit and wait. Talent wasted. Life wasted. Like open air jail, go anywhere, don't do anything. Sit, wait, hope, don't move.
  • Doc says to wait, but really ... that's what I've been told like 7 years. I am tired of that.
Please let me know what comes into your mind, I need to know how to go on. You are welcome to share your story and thoughts. Thank you!

MixedPickles responded:
Amendment: first surgery was Toupet 270?.

calgal37 replied to MixedPickles's response:
MixedPickles, consider what might be the slightly 'screwy' possibility that you might be having symptoms that reflect food intolerance issues.

A few years ago I would have scoffed at the idea that food could literally make a person sick and just about ruin their life, but I've had to change my mind since I've been working with a number of individuals in which that exact thing happened. It can happen at any age, and can result in very different symptoms in everyone I've worked with. They range from fatigue, joint pain, headaches that won't quit, tight musculature, rashes, GERD-like symptoms and irritability to anxiety and low-grade depression among others.

We had one lady at the office who had thrown-up everyday for 8 years (her estimate) and had been told it was GERD. Nothing helped until she got tested and she took out the 'offending foods.'

The 4 'biggies' we seem to see at the office are: gluten (wheat, rye and barley), dairy, eggs, and soy. But they aren't the only ones 'out there.'

Many docs scoff at the notion of food testing, but it's slowly becoming more recognized and if you've run out of options, spend the money and get checked. It's possible it could change you life. Find a functional medicine doc and at least inquire.

if you do test, make sure they check using both IgG and IgA antibodies. The IgE testing won't do you much good since that form is looking for an immediate food reaction, and the symptoms that are seen with GERD-like conditions aren't typically IgE-related. IgG are 'delayed sensitivity' antibodies and are more likely to be involved. Metametrix/Genova has a decent test that covers about 90 antigenic foods. It should also include the portion of the test that measure IgA total levels, and the IgA-gliadin and IgA transglutaminase testing. (And NO I do not work for Metametrix or Genova. But I have used the test kit extensively and have a decent understanding of reading the results and extrapolating on what should be 'done next.')

I don't have food intolerance, but my husband does. So between seeing what he went through, and what a few hundreds of others have gone through in the office, when I see someone that doesn't seem to greatly respond to the meds, I'm no longer surprised when those people find they have food intolerances. And after seeing person after person get better and get their lives back, I now understand that 'food can kill/harm/maim.'

If you've run out of options, consider testing................or try some elimination diets. You can do it by taking one of the food groups out of your diet completely for 2-3 weeks and see if you note any changes - even small ones. If nothing happens, add that group back, wait a couple of weeks and try another one, etc.

Helpful Tips

abodmenal pain
from last 2 weeks i suffering from abodmenal is pain very badly .and my toilet also not good.always i have to go toilet .per 3,4 times i ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website