Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Help diagnoses unknown
happilollipop posted:
I haven't used this forum before but I'm reaching out to see if anyone has any ideas. . .

I am 36 years old and have a history of difficult to diagnose stomach issues. It took doctors a year and a half to diagnose my gallbladder infection and remove it. It took doctors over two years to diagnose that I had an intussusception. Each time I went through numerous tests, procedures, and medicinal treatment. Both times I was told to go to a psychiatrist as the pain was in my mind and there was nothing physically wrong. I am not trying to bash most of my doctors because they did try, I just am difficult to diagnose. I have had 5 abdominal surgeries (gastric bypass, removal of my gallbladder, removal of the part of my intestine that was intussuscepted, and two exploratory surgeries).

One month ago I started feeling the same pain that I had with the intususseption. I had a CT done soon after and that night I was admitted to the hospital as the CT showed a probable intussusception. I had exploratory surgery done and no intussusception was found. I also had an endoscopy done which shows no abnormalities. I was released from the hospital and told that there was nothing they could do for me. I went to my primary care physician and we are trying IBS meds but we both have doubts whether they will work. I currently have lost 30 pounds, am only able to tolerate nutrition drink formulated for sensitive stomach, have moderate to severe upper abdominal pain, have moderate pain in my shoulder blades, am nauseous, often get dehydrated, and am fatigued.

We know it is not diverticulitis, ulcers, girardia, acid reflux, appendicitis, or other infection. I still feel like it is another intussusception although one was not found during the hospital stay. I am scared that I am going to have to go through another long stretch of time before this gets diagnosed. Intussusception is very rare in adults. I just happen to be one of those. To have it twice is crazy. I don't know what to do and I don't think my doctors know what to do either.

Keltz1216 responded:
Have you ever considered Celiac's disease? People take it lightly like it's not a big deal it's just a glutem allergy. Little do they know it can do a lot of harm. Try taking Gluten out of your diet for a week if you could eliminate dairy you may see amazing result and it only takes about 3 days to make all the difference/!!! Good Luck I hope you find an answer and a solution soon!

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website