Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Mystery Abdominal bloating and Pain - Here's a list of things we've tried
MickeyK posted:
Minutes after eating anything, even drinking water, my daughter (young adult) has severe bloating and discomfort in mid to lower abdomen. No Diarrhea, no constipation, no vomiting. Listerally within minutes of eating anything, she's holder her abdomen. Every meal, or even a small snack. Bloated, nauseas
and some destention. It can last for several hours after dinner.
Has had blood tests for tyroid, liver, kidney. All normal.
Had general blood and urine tests - normal
Took antibotic for SIPO possibilty - No affect
Had test for celiac - normal.
H.Pylori - negative
Had stomach emptying test - normal
Had upper GI endoscopy - normal (several biopsis samples, all normal)
Took PPI for 3 months - no affect
Gasx - No affect
Had complete abdominal and pelvic MRI with contrast (Barium and IV) - Normal (Had two different radiologists look, and one specifically to look for Cysts, Tumors, Obstructions, Intussusception, Ovarian Cancer, dysgerminoma, Diverticular Disease, Stones, Pancreatic issues, Thinking of walls of intestines ... all negative and/or normal)
Normal temperature and blood pressure
Taking Hysocyamine - just started, but so far no help
Next Step - Gall Badder test, but she doesn't have symptoms, (pain location), etc. doesn't seem likely
We are at wits end. She's doesn't want to eat because she knows that the bloating, pain, etc. will come .. every time, with anything she eats.
Doesn't really have much gas (burps a bit more than usual)
Is Starving, yet nauseas.

What's left? What on earth can this be?
Please help if you can .. thx

Amsr22 responded:
Hi Mickey, I have been WEB MD all night. I just saw your post and almost cried. I have been dealing with this EXACT same symptom for the past 3 days. It has NEVER happened to me before, and I have had zero problems with any kind of indigestion in the past. I looked up every possible thing on here, which included a lot of your testing that your daughter had done. I tried explaining to my fiance that it started later in the evening on Monday. I ate the same normal things throughout the day that I include in my everyday diet. It had been a couple of hours since I even ate anything and I was fine. But when I took a sip from my bottled water (Spring water from Deer Park by the way)....2 minutes later I started feeling full and faintly nauseous (but NO point of vomiting, no sign of diarrhea, and I am not constipated) I have had some belching and stomach pain. I am NOT a nervous "burper" and the pain was just sudden...occasionally letting up or feeling less pain hen its been a while since eating or drinking. that has never happened. And every time I continue to eat or drink anything including water in a short period of time-literally minutes, the exact same symptoms reoccur.(which is weird and strange-could understand if it was maybe dairy). I am confused and not sure what to do either. I'm so frustrated because usually if you have a bug or flu you end up vomiting or having a fever or some other symptom that you are familiar with and know that there is relief in sight after a period of time passes. But I'm not sure what it is and I've only had this since Monday. SAME exact symptoms...so crazy and relieved I found your post. Please let me know if you hear anything or have a clue as to what this might me. -My fiance thinks it could be a stress ulcer? I just tried going on a run for thirty minutes hoping that would help, but than I drank a smoothie with almond milk and fruit and the same thing happened. Good Luck and I feel for your daughter (ill say a prayer) because I'm afraid to eat anything as well. Last night for dinner I had a couple unsalted cashews and almonds Thanks for listening! Let me know, please.

MickeyK replied to Amsr22's response:
Sorry you're having this problem. My daughter has had this now for several months, hence all the tests. If your symptoms just started the last few days, it can be a number of things that cause it, hence all the tests my daughter has had. Suggest you not wait and immediately see a dr. Most likely it is something that is minor and one of the tests will show this.

brendap522 responded:
My daughter has had similar problems, taken to the er the pain was so bad. All the same tests came back negative. She went back to college in sioux falls and I made and appointment for a gastro dr there and she ordered a hydrogen breath test for glucose and fructose and my daughter ended up testing positive for fructose. It was such a simple non-invasive test after all the other ones she endured. I would highly recommend it.
Good luck! hope this helps

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website