Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Infectious colitis??
lindabls1955 posted:
I'm a 57 yo female, reasonably healthy. Dx include gastritis, hypothyroid, dysthymia. Had a colonoscopy last year with polypectomy x2 (benign) to follow up on peptic ulcer attack several years ago. During the past 18 months, I've had periodic diarrhea which I attributed to morning breakfast of oatmeal. No oatmeal, no D. One month ago, I started having abdominal cramps, persistent D, vomiting, low grade fever. This sent me to the ER twice in 10 days due to dehydration. I improve for a week, then relapse. Docs have said it's gastrointestinal virus and to ride it out. I've tried to manage it with Kaopectate and Pheragan but the Kao doesn't always work. Stool cultures for c.diff, giardiasis, cyclospora and a variety of other critters were all negative. GI doc felt this has been going on too long for a typical gastro virus and prescribed a 5 day course of Levaquin empirically without relief - I now have tendon problems - grrrr! I had a colonoscopy yesterday with biopsy for microcolitis, and polypectomy for 1 small polyp. All of this points to likely colitis EXCEPT the boyfriend has similar symptoms. Does anyone have a guess what this could be?

calgal37 responded:
Lindabls, you both might have the same condition, but a problem is so darned many GI issues can have the exact same symptoms but be due to different conditions. You may have to wait to see what the biopsy says.

If the doc does say all is well but nothing changes with your GI system, please consider checking for food intolerance issues. Sounds strange, but certain food groups can become very problematic over a number of years and the results seem to 'hit' all at once. Many people aren't able to pin-point the offending food(s) because sometimes the resulting bowel habit changes can happen immediately, while other times there can be days between eating and 'results.'

lindabls1955 replied to calgal37's response:
CalGal, thank you for your response. The biopsy was negative for microcolitis so the GI doc dx IBS. When I told her the b/f has similar symptoms, she had no answer and recommended taking Lomotil for flare-ups.

At this point, the b/f is doing better except for some nasty gas. After about a week of getting back to "normal", I am having some D w/o nausea. This pattern lasts for a day, resolves for a 7-10 days, then relapses.

Should I get a second opinion?

calgal37 replied to lindabls1955's response:
I'm glad to hear the biopsy was negative. I'd like to insert a cautious 'but' to that statement.....please get a written copy of all of the results of your tests and read them. If there is any wording that says 'correlate with symptoms/clinical findings' ask your doc some questions. Many times the pathologists will be a slight bit suspicious because the specimen doesn't fit the complete criteria for a true diagnosis....with that wording they're trying to get the GI docs to take a closer look at things and unfortunately that may not be relayed to the patient.

You said you were having trouble with oatmeal. Were you eating it with dairy? How about a two week trial of taking all forms of dairy out of your diet and see what happens? Some of the symptoms you're describing could be caused by food intolerances You could also ask the doc to consider some testing for food intolerance issues. The big "4" foods that seem to cause the majority of problems are: gluten, dairy, eggs and soy, so it might be something to consider. There are a couple of labs that have fairly comprehensive testing panel that look at about 90 different foods, and at least one of them - Genova - now seems to be partially covered by several insurance plans.

calgal37 replied to lindabls1955's response:
Oh, and consider trying some probiotics. They might go a long way toward helping the situation. There are several very good brands on the market that don't cost a large amount and do a good job.

Larry_Hoberman replied to lindabls1955's response:
Dear lindabls1955,

CalGal37 is right about trying a probiotic to treat some of your symptoms. Since there are several brands available, look for one containing multiple species of bacteria to help your gut maintain the proper balance of bacteria to stay healthy and boost your immune system against viruses. Most high-quality probiotics contain the right balance. http://www.endomune.com/blog/2013/06/10-reasons-everyone-should-take-a-probiotic/

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website