Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Possible Unknown Digestive Issue
ShinyJabberwocky posted:
In November 2008, every time I ate something solid, my BP would jump to 180/100, I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, and I felt fatigued and just generally crappy. It all happened 20-30 mins after I was finished eating and it didn't seem to matter what I ate, so long as it was solid.

To test the theory, I started eating foods that my stomach might find easier to break down--apple sauce, yogurt, jello, ice cream--and my symptoms dramatically decreased. I even went an entire day without eating anything and I felt completely back to normal. Eventually I stopped eating a lot and lost a decent amount of weight.

I started eating solid foods again, and the symptoms were still there, but they weren't as strong as they were initially. Still, I felt like crap so I decided to go to my GP first. Said it was anxiety, gave me 1mg of Xanax and said take one to two pills per day as needed. The pills did nothing except make me feel dead inside, so I stopped that after two weeks.

Then I went to a cardiologist who did blood work, EKGs, an echo, and a stress test. They even listened to my limbs for blockages and checked my kidney arteries with an ultrasound. Nothing wrong. Gave me Atenolol, which has been a lifesaver, but it only masks some of the symptoms--a temporary fix.

Went to a gastroenterologist and he said it was just acid reflux and indigestion. Gave me some OTC stuff which I tried and it didn't work. Got an EGD and he said nothing looked off so that was that.

Eventually I found out I had thyroid cancer and had a total thyroidectomy, but that didn't really change any of my symptoms, even when managing my synthroid doses. My ENT ran a few hormone panels on me as well and the only issue was my testosterone was low (250) and my coritsol was high (28) and he said hopefully it will work itself out.

It's been over four years now and no one can see to find out what is wrong. It doesn't even require eating now to feel crappy--I just feel crappy all of the time to varying degrees. Here are my symptoms:

High BP
Rapid HR
Fatigue
Brain Fog

There are others, but these are the ones I am most concerned about. And the only thing I can think of is that all of this started when I was eating. But I don't know what else I can do. I am on my last leg here and I'm hoping someone can help. I've tried supplements, working out, losing weight, and eating better, and nothing seems to improve my symptoms. I even went on a no gluten diet and that didn't seem to help much.

Here's a list of meds I take:

Atenolol 50 mg (since 2009)
Tricor 145mg (Since 2009; Triglycerides are high but cholesterol is fine)
Singulair 10mg (Just the last few months)
Synthroid 200mcg (Since 2011)

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website