Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
A Note on LOW Stomach Acid queries, Apple Cider Vinegar V/S Organic Salts, PPI's
sunild1204 posted:
1) LOW Stomach Acid queries:-
I have come across many people raising queries on whether it is low acid that is causing the issue. As far as my knowledge goes this is not true. Acidosis or Acid Indigestion leading to Acid Reflux is caused by Acid buildup. The fact that we are using acid suppression (PPI) and acid neutralization (antacids) means that we have more than required acids present. In fact all our problems have started because of Acidosis or Acid Indigestion which is because of LOW PH of body fluids and blood.
Look; Acids are released only for protein digestion and more stronger the protein (meat) More acids are released. But if you are having a Vegetarian meal, not much acids are required as protein content is very less in this case; so where is question for low acid here? If you supplied HCL supplements while having alkaline or vegetarian food it would actually cause acid indigestion as no acids are required first of all to digest this type of meal. What is required in fact is a steady supply of Alkaline reserves to bring back PH to normal level for every meal and hence I use Organic salts with every meal which not only supply much needed alkaline reserves but also help bring pH to normal.

2) PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor class of druds used for Acid Suppression) :-
The reason these acid blockers (PPI's) have caused havoc is because they are designed poorly and are thus causing more delayed stomach emptying (GP) when taken for long time. So now, If you had GP for Reason X, and once you have started on PPI drugs to suppress acid, your GP is now caused by Reason X + PPI's (as their side effect caused more GP). That is why we must first make all efforts to put a stop to this class of drug as now even if you have resolved your Reason X which cause GP originally; you can still never come out of GP as there is now EXPLICIT or DELIBERATE GP caused by PPI class of drugs, and your GP will persist so long you continue to take them. Remember that Acid Neutralizing is always preferable than acid suppression as we do not want to interfere with logical functioning of stomach which is what these PPI class of drugs do. I have said in so many voices in last several months that you can never ever recover until and unless you get rid of this class (PPI) of drugs.
But you must take care of acid rebound effect when stopping these and also understand what type of food must be ate when you are off acid blockers. See if you ate food that does not require ACID RELEASE; then automatically you are making acid blocker redundant. If you have learnt food behaviors you would be able to understand what to eat and how to eat and eventually your stomach would restore back. You must read my blog on WordPress to understand mechanism first.
http://www.betterbones.com/alkalinebalance/dietplan.aspx

3)
Those with Acid Reflux have benefited by taking ACV (Apple cider Vinegar) just before meals. Apple cider vinegar although very acidic; is ALKALINE forming food there by helps regulate PH of Digested food. The Digested food must be neutralized before it can be passed on to next stage in stomach for digestion. If the PH of digested food is low it just sits there along with acid released for digestion and hence causes acid reflux in some people.
But ACV is very strong, and unless diluted properly can not be used if you have a Sensitive stomach, and so in that case better alternative to use is ORGANIC SALTS like Rock Salt/Black salt/Sea salt (Crystals). I normally combine all of these salts and sprinkle these on all my meals after they are served. These salts are capable of absorbing heat and also help regulate PH of digested food. so, it is safe to say that instead of ACV these ORGANIC SALTS can be used instead to avoid acid indigestion.
http://thechalkboardmag.com/alkalizing-101-the-truth-about-salt-for-your-health

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website