Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
** A NOTE on How to Stop PPI/H2 Blockers **
sunild1204 posted:
  • * A NOTE on How to Stop PPI/H2 Blockers **
    1)
    Getting off Acid Blockers & Proton Pump Inhibitors (Nexium, ranitidine, famotidine, omeprazole, Razo etc) is very important first steps in managing this issue. Being on H2 Blockers/PPI class of drugs for long time and then stopping suddenly will have acid rebound effect for first 3-4 days. You must follow soft/grilled/steamed/Roasted ALKALINE only diet when stopping PPI for first one week. We do not want to use any drugs that interfere with logical functioning of stomach and so getting off PPI/Pro Kinetic class of drugs is very important first steps towards dealing with this complex issue.
    2)
    Easiest way to do switchover without getting affected by acid bound and other withdrawal effect of PPI's would be to use TRIPHALA capsule after every meal. Triphala HERB is an excellent intestinal cleanse and motility herb and is very important part of managing the GP and subsequent issues.
    3)
    I have also used Cold milk (NO Sugar), Baking soda dissolved in water (Not Baking Powder) to sooth stomach when I felt it turning acidic because of acid rebound effect of stopping PPI for first 3-4 days. Acid neutralizing is always preferred than acid suppression. PPI's also feed delayed emptying making sure that gastro paresis never goes away. No doubt that they (Doctors) call Gastro Paresis as progressive as the very drug they prescribe (PPI class of drugs), make sure that delayed emptying never really gets cured. While struggling on my GP issues I understood it soon that these drugs (PPI/Motility) were actually making the problem worst, but I found this research only recently because I needed to convince others why one should be wary about using them. Read Discussion Section here: http://gut.bmj.com/content/42/2/243.full

If one can survive on soft /grilled/steamed/Roasted diet for one week not taking any medicines then you surely will get benefited if you followed steps in my blog sunild1204.WordPress
    Thanks

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
    I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website