Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Abdominal Surgery Question, Seeking Answers
miller49ers posted:
When I was born in 1976 I was very jaundice. Unfortunately the jaundice continued for quite a while. I would repeatedly vomit without keeping much food down. My parents took me to several specialists at the time and it took almost 2 years to find an answer. By the time they got answers my internal organs had swelled to the size of a young adults. The specialist told them that I had a lymph node obstructing my bile duct and that I had been born that way. Now I am in my 30's and would like more information about it. My mother said that she was told by the surgeon that they bypassed my small intestine because that's where the blockage was. He explained to her that when I eat, food goes from my stomach to my gall bladder then straight to my large intestine and completely bypasses my small intestine. I am trying to get more information about this type of surgery because I have a fear of something happening to my gall bladder. I know that it is common in most people to have them removed if they have issues, but would I ever be able to have it removed since I do not have use of my small intestine? Note the surgeon did not remove my small intestine, they just re-routed it. When I was pregnant with my daughter I was jaundice during labor which resulted in an emergency C-section and I wonder if my prior surgery might have had something to do with it. Please if anyone knows more information about this type of surgery I would greatly appreciate it. I do not even know the name of the procedure to try to find information online. I have yet to find a website that addresses this issue. I was told by my parents that at that time it was a very rare type of surgery. Thanks in advance.
miller49ers responded:
was really hoping that someone might have an answer
calgal37 responded:
They wouldn't be able to bypass the whole of the small intestine otherwise you wouldn't be able to digest and absorb your food. If there was a blockage of the common bile duct, the things that might be done is to remove a small section of it and reattach it to the small intestine, or use another alternative method to route the products of the liver - the bile - into the small intestine.

Have you discussed the issue with your doctor? He might be able to give you a better idea of the anatomy you now have. Or he/she might be able to suggest some imaging studies that would give you an answer.

A surgery that's been around for quite awhile, but the common bile duct is still in place, is the Roux-en-Y procedure that does reroute a portion of the stomach and small intestine, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.
miller49ers replied to calgal37's response:
Thank you for your reply, I do have an appointment with him in late October and plan on discussing it with him. Unfortunately until just very recently I had a chance to discuss with my mother the surgery and she gave me this information. At first all I had been told was that when I was born I had a lymph node obstructing my bile duct and was given no other information, only recently after talking to my mother did I get the information that I have above. It has taken my doctor almost 6 months to finally get the physician report from my surgery because it was so long ago so I am really looking forward to getting more answers. Thanks again.

Helpful Tips

Gas, leaks, fecal farts and possible aggravating causes
I have the same problem, and it drives me nuts because it comes and goes, so really hard to figure cause and effect. BUT my new GI says he ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website