Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Fecal Stasis
DeaMom posted:
Not sure if this relates to Digestive Disorders...if it doesn't please let me know where to re-post.

What is fecal stasis? I went to my doctor because I have pain in my mid and lower left abdomen and occasionally in my right lower abdomen as well. He ordered a CT Scan. The study was on CT Abdomen and Pelvis with contrast. The findings were left ureter is mildly prominent throughout its course w/o evidence of calcification or specific obstruction.

The uterus is mildly prominent and contains at least one fibroid in the anterior myometrium. An irregular ringlike enhancement is present on the left measuring 1.5cm within what appears to be a 3.0 x 1.7cm left ovary. This could be related to ovulation. There is a small amount of free fluid. Fecal stasis is noted. The transverse colon is redundant. The appendix is normal in appearance.

Pelvic findings suggestive of recent ovulation. Otherwise, no significant abnormality is evident.

The doctor said everything is fine and believes the pain/discomfort is associated with my uterus.

I went to my GYN and gave him the CT Scan report. He said everything looks fine. I asked him what is fecal stasis. He said constipation. I said I don't understand how because I use the bathroom daily or every other day. I did some research online and found hardly anything on fecal stasis. Basically the information I found stated slow moving bowels that may become stuck and rot. I took a laxative called prunelax, last Thursday. I used the bathroom three times on Friday. Then nothing until Monday night. I was in terrible pain and threw up and was on the toilet for an hour. Today is Thursday and still nothing. I am bloated and still have the pain and discomfort in my mid and lower left abdomen. I can feel and hear gas/air moving in my mid left abdomen towards my back. I don't feel hungry, but I try to eat at least twice a day. My appointment with the Gastroenterologist is in two weeks.

Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks,
D.

georgiagail responded:
Your CT scan found stool in your colon. That's all.

You took a laxative that overworked your bowels and, unfortunately, are suffering the side effects of this.

There is nothing wrong with your colon.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website