Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Peripheral Nerve Pain Neuropathy When Food Enters Small Intestine
brookevale posted:
Last year I had abdominal surgery for a transduodenal sphincteroplasty and pyloric dilatation. A few weeks later I developed sepsis (Enterobacter) and came very close to dying. I was given a hefty dose of Levaquin and hydrocortisone (my adrenals failed during the sepsis). Since then, I have had unbearable peripheral neuropathy. A recent nerve biopsy test confirmed I have small fiber neuropathy. I also had severe tendonitis for a while but that has gotten better. I assumed I had fluoroquinolone toxicity, but made a recent revelation. I was on Domperidone for nausea and had to wean off it as my prolactin levels were high. I noticed that when I used to eat or drink anything, it would instantly flare my nerve pain. Now that my gut motility has slowed, it is evident the nerve pain flares when food enters my small intestine as the pain is delayed. My neurologists can't figure this out and just keep giving me more Neurontin, which doesn't help. I have had MRIs and CT scans but wonder if they have been looked at properly. I am concerned I may have ischemia, vasculitis, an intestinal perforation, stricture, SIBO, etc. I am gluten free and not a diabetic. Also, my heart rate is 100 sitting and if I try to exercise it goes up to 170. I never had these issues before the surgery. Help!!! Please and Thank You.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website