Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
why do I get constipated later in the day
cmessi posted:
I have tried taking fiber (Fiber Choice chewables) at night and in the mornings...I have succumbed to taking them only at night because I have found I am very gassy throughout the day when taking them in the morning. I try to drink as much water as I can, I try to get exercise (still maybe not as much as I should) and I go every single morning without a problem...the problem is the afternoons. I go to my class (can be about 4-5 hours) and I come home with the feeling that I need to go, but it is so difficult to go that I just give up. I try to eat small lunches, I have oatmeal for breakfast or try to have something with protein like peanut butter on toast for breakfast, and it goes right through me. Then by lunchtime, I am no longer able to pass a stool! It is very rare if I do... I go about 2-3 times a day but feel that I could go more and I get a 'bubble guts' feeling of bloating after having dinner. Could it be my meals are too large. Could someone please help me in suggesting what I might be doing wrong??

cmessi responded:
also, I find that running around my neighborhood for a little while always helps to me go, but I don't have the time or convenience in being able to 'go jogging' every time I feel like I have to go! I know its gross but I assume it gets my intestines working. Could I do something similar to running to help me be able to go but not break a sweat every time? I also can't go in public restrooms, the kind with stalls. Single-room I am fine....what can I do to rid of my fear of public restrooms? I feel I have tried everything.....playing games on my phone to distract myself...I have a fear of other people coming in and intruding....

georgiagail responded:
If you're "going" in the morning, why do you believe you're "constipated" later in the afternoon.

Your problem is that you seem to think twice a day bowel movements are normal for you and they are not.

Gail

cmessi replied to georgiagail's response:
because I have the feeling that I need to go

georgiagail replied to cmessi's response:
That's because you're overly focused on your bowel habits.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website