Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Barretts Esophagus
pc1963 posted:
Just got diagnosed with this. Barretts esophagus (BE), is essentially GERD PLUS!!! Never heard about it from ANY of my doctors even though I never hid the fact of my ongoing heartburn. Now, endoscopies for life, beers and coffee no more, and a slim chance of cancer. If you have GERD, get it checked out.

kellyerb66 responded:
Sorry to hear... yeah having Barrett's is not fun but your chances of it becoming Cancer are very small. It does increase your risk but not to the point that it should alarm you. Just watch what you eat and get your endoscopies done when you should and you should be fine. I've had Barrett's for so long now I can't remember when I didn't have it. It is much worse than just having GERD but it can be managed. Not trying to down play it... just trying to reassure you. I do okay as long as I don't miss a dose of my medication. Lot's of luck to you

cvargaspa replied to kellyerb66's response:
Hi yes Kellyerb66 you are correct I also have Barret's for more than 6 years know. As long as you control your Gerd and avoid certain foods that can irritate or make your Gerd worst it is manageable. It is very important to always follow up with the gastroenterologist and have biopsy's taken to make sure there is no dysplasia (cellular abnormalities). Hope it helps Thanks. Stay HealthyPC1963.

pc1963 replied to cvargaspa's response:
Thanks Cvar and Kelly. Your reassuring words are much more helpful than some community forums Ive seen! Those can really make you feel hopeless. I had a consult with my GE, and he noted that my SS Barrett's was very mild, and to take my Omeprazole, moderate my diet, and avoid trigger foods, and hed see me in 3 yrs. He also pointed out my chances for other cancers/mortalities are greater than Barretts. But again, thanks so much for your calming words. God bless,

Paul

Helpful Tips

abodmenal pain
from last 2 weeks i suffering from abodmenal is pain very badly .and my toilet also not good.always i have to go toilet .per 3,4 times i ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website