Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Need advice
queenhlf posted:
I have been diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus. My insurance company has denied proton pump inhibitors because it is "outside FDA guidelines".

biancalthompson responded:
You can purchase these over the counter. I have GERD but only take medications when I have persistent pain or reflux. I use omeprazole otherwise know as Prilosec

calgal37 responded:
Queenhif, go back to your doctor and have his office work to push through his recommended medication. In some instances the insurance company can balk at a specific medication, but your doc can change to another brand the insurance company WILL approve, or they can say that nothing else will work for you and push the issue.

queenhlf replied to biancalthompson's response:
Ummm Barret's esophagus is precancerous and the over the counter medications do no work for me. Thank you for responding.

queenhlf replied to calgal37's response:
Thank you, I have filed an appeal and I will see where that leads me.

kellyerb66 responded:
I have Barrett's as well. I've had it for many years now. I am taking Omeprazole 40 mg 2 x a day and I'm okay for the most part as long as I don't miss a dose. It can be purchased over the counter but it can get costly taking that high a dose since over the counter it only goes to 20 mg I think. I would have my doctor petition the insurance company or ask your doctor if there is another medication that your insurance will cover and be just as effective. I had a great doctor for many years who even gave me samples free when I could not afford to buy my meds. I think I was just lucky there. but sometimes your doctor may give you more help than you thought... doesn't hurt to ask.
Lot's of luck to you. I totally understand how it feels. GERD is bad enough... but once it's Barrett's it's harder to manage. At least I've found it to be.

queenhlf replied to kellyerb66's response:
Thank you. It is harder once it gets to Barrett's. I filed an appeal and they approved it.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website