Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Don't know what else to do!
An_254515 posted:
I am 26 years old, I was diagnosed with GERD when I was 18 and have been on Nexium, a few other generics when my insurance stopped covering Nexium and now have been on Omeprazole 40mg 1x daily for a few years now. I have been dealing with bloating, cramping and stabbing pains... burping, gas and nausea. As well as still occasional heartburn, despite watching my diet. About 1 year ago, I was also diagnosed with celiac disease. My gastro Dr was hopeful that by switching to a gluten-free diet, I could elimate the need for the omeprazole as he was concerned about long-term side-effects. I have been gluten-free since the diagnosis, and have been unable to stop the omeprazole... I have had some reduction in abdominal symptoms, but still often experience bloating, nausea, and gassiness. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to what causes this. Sometimes, I will eat chex cereal (gluten-free) and I feel fine. Sometimes, I feel awful for about 30 mins after. There doesn't seem to be a certain food, rice cakes, eggs, plain chicken... all occasionally can make my stomach feel awful after eating them. I just don't know what to do. I feel like I should just give up and accept the fact that I will never have a day where I don't have stomach issues. My husband doesn't believe me... He says I always have a stomach ache... And everything makes me sick. I just am at a loss. If anyone has any advice? I haven't seen a gastro in a while, because I did move since being diagnosed with celiac and I haven't found a new one in my area... So I know I def need to go find a new one.

cmessi responded:
Try going all organic maybe? Don't eat out for a while, make everything at home so you know it is totally organic. You may be allergic to pesticides or flavor enhancers. Just try it and see

nycjudy responded:
Do you take a probiotic?

Have you ever looked into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. There is a website or it is outlined in the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle. It is quite a restricted eating regime, but I have run into a number of people online who swear by it; and perhaps you might get some ideas that can be tailored to your needs.

An_254678 responded:
Have you tried eliminating dairy. I recently eliminated all dairy from diet and have had less abdominal discomfort. I still have some because of my gallbladder but its significantly less.

kristenviviano replied to An_254678's response:
I have not tried eliminating dairy... I LOVE milk lol so that will be tough... I am beginning the search for a new gastro in my new area.

Any suggestions for a replacement for milk (almond, soy) that will taste similar but isn't ridiculously more expensive?

georgiagail replied to kristenviviano's response:
If the culprit in dairy is the lactose (i.e., the milk sugar) there is always lactose free milk to experiment with to see if this helps with your symptoms.

Gail

calgal37 responded:
Also, if diary is the issue, it may also be (or perhaps instead be.....) one of the major proteins in the diary - casein. Many react to this protein and it can produce a variety of symptoms. In addition, a large percentage of those with gluten issues cross-react to casein, so it may be necessary to take both gluten and dairy out of your diet. My husband had to years ago and it literally gave him his life back. Don't discount the 'damage' supposedly good food can do.

You may want to consider doing some food intolerance testing. Genova has a decent test that will look at about 90 different 'regular' foods/components that most ingest.

kristenviviano responded:
I met with my new gastro today, I really liked her and she seems to be very thorough- not just writing off my symptoms. She sent me for bloodwork - checking my antibodies (making sure they have gone back to normal since starting my gluten free diet) also checking my vitamin levels in all areas where celiacs are typically deficient... checking thyroid and a couple other panels to see how my levels are. She is having me get an ultrasound of my gallbladder. She was surprised that hadn't been checked before- the pains I get are located (apparently) in that area and when she felt my stomach I had some tenderness in that spot, so ultrasound it is. And she is also recommending I cut out all dairy until out next follow-up to see how that makes me feel. So - super strict diet for me for the next month... I need to work out a meal plan.

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website