Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
I'm 19 - is it GERD, anxiety, or heart related?
guycodygaga posted:
Hi there!
So lately, I've been having really bad chest pains. I've been to my doctor, and they said it was acid reflux (more specifically - GERD.) My doctor set me up with an appointment for a G.I. doctor, but I don't believe that it's GERD related - even though I do get acid reflux.
I've been to a cardiologist, and an EKG was done on me. The results were slightly high then, but I was feeling very panic-ish when they were doing it. The cardiologist spoke with me and said that I was having "benign palpitations," and after I told him everything I'd been going through with my high-anxiety issues lately, he said that it definitely anxiety.
Now, I'd been getting a pain in my left arm too. The cardiologist said that this pain could have definitely been from the GERD, and my father said he had arm pain because he had GERD when he was my age.
I also had a blood test done on me, and my doctor said that my cholesterol level was perfect and that it wasn't anything to worry about.
Can I have a good cholesterol level and still have a heart issue?

My blood pressure is usually about 124-134/78-83.
My heart rate usually measures about 82-88bpm.
Are these good numbers to have? I've been having really bad anxiety. I've been dieting lately, because I am on the very obese side. I've lost 59lbs since July 1st, 2013.

I get shortness of breath at times, but it's not usually accompanied by the chest pains, though sometimes it is. I just take in a deep breath and practice a breathing exercise and it usually goes away.

**Note: The Cardiologist was very nice and friendly and answered all of my questions thoroughly, and let me ask whatever I wanted. He said I was definitely young, and this kind of thing was most likely to happen when I was older if I didn't get in shape (which I am now doing).

If you think I am fine, could you please explain to me why I wouldn't have a heart attack? I really need it. When I get anxiety, my heart races bad, I feel like I'm going pass out (but don't) and occasionally get chest pains, but not as often when I'm having an anxiety attack. It's most scary when I'm at school.

I'm currently prescribed on omeprazole (2 pills a day - for GERD), Hydroxyzine (which I take in the event of a panic attack), and Sertraline 50mg (1 pill a day for anxiety.)
Thank you so much.

biancalthompson responded:
Hi sorry your going through this. When I was 20 or 21 years old I had my first experience with how scary GERD can be when you don't know you have it. I had some very intense chest pains, sweating, nausea,and shortness of breath. I went to the ER they check my heart, took blood, did a chest x-ray and assured me its not my heart that it more than likely was reflux. My family doctor ran some more test and put me on some prescription H-2 blockers. I was also on anti-inflammatories for a sports injury. I continued to have nausea despite the medications, however the chest pain no longer accompanied my symptoms. I eventually had a scope to check for ullcers, the doc confirmed my GERD diagnose and discovered a hiatal hernia,

He took me off my anti-inflammatories. My stomach got better, I still had to eliminate the foods that set me off. I eventually learned what set my GERD off. I now control my symptoms without any medications. Now I am 28 and knowing that my dad has heart issues and is relatively young my GERD symptoms concern me sometimes. One of the easiest ways to tell if the symptoms are heart or gut related by taking an antacid, If my symptoms go away, which always does, then its my stomach and not my heart.

I think your fine based upon the thoroughness of the doctors and your age. You have no sings of heart issues, and your SOB could be because you may need more exercise.
It still can be scary to have your symptoms and be young, I know from experience. You just have to aim for the most likely cause of symptoms first and treat that, that is what doctors do, and if the treatment doesn't work move on to the next thing it could be based upon symptoms.

Good luck to you and hope you feel better soon.

jaco808 responded:
Sounds like what you have is Anxiety related. I also have reflux and SEVERE Anxiety and I feel symptoms similar to yours, and what all of my doctor's have said was it has everything to do with Anxiety somehow..
Good Luck!

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website