Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Day 1 after Cholesytectomy gallbladder removal
biancalthompson posted:
Hi My name is Bianca. I am 28. I had my gallbladder surgery this morning at 730a. I thought I would share my experience and recovery because there are a lot of horror stories out there on the internet (personal experience)

After surgery I was initially in a fair amount of pain. It was well controlled however and about three hours post-op I was up walking the halls. I went home at approximately 5 hours post-opt feeling really well. Aside from some pressure in my abdomen (from the gas used to inflate my abdomen) and some mild discomfort at my incision sites I felt fine. I was a little dizzy but that's normal after coming out of anesthesia. I was sent home with Norco for pain. I have been able to eat soft bland foods, mostly because I am not really hungry yet and don't want to overwhelm my system by advancing my diet to quickly. I am able to return to work after a week at home. I can't do anything strenuous for 4 weeks after surgery.

It wasn't as scary as a lot people made it out to be. Its still surgery and there are always risks. I was mostly concerned of reaction to anesthesia because of my asthma. I did have some trouble with my oxygen saturations as I was waking up from the anesthesia but have been fine since then. I tolerated this better than an endoscopy I had back in 2007 to check for ulcers.

I hope this will ease some fears of people going into a laparoscopic cholecystectomy, I will continue to provide information during my recovery as I am able to.

cleaner2005 responded:
Great glad it went well. Hopefully you can return to life is normal in a few weeks. Good luck!!

biancalthompson responded:
The last 2 days has seen me sleeping a lot. I have been sore but feeling okay. I haven't had any trouble with food thus far. I have been able to advance my diet to now include bake chicken. I am able to walk around comfortably. I just get worn out with much more than that. I figure I am doing pretty good thus far.

Thank you for replying.

Helpful Tips

kidney n digestive disorder
Dear I want to how to keep well kidney permanently and there is a problem nowadays that is i have to go to toilet with pain in belly after ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website