Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Severe abdominal pain & vomiting after bending over
bhaskins1 posted:
Heres the brief backstory. I am a recovering opioid addict and have been clean from street drugs, etc for over a year. Currently I am prescribed Subutex 8mg 2x daily (but I just take one unless I really need it. Also RXd Depakote 2000mg daily and Dicyclomine (Bentyl) 20mg 2-4 times daily or as needed.

Several years ago I spent 12 hours in bed with EXCRUCIATING abdominal pain and non-stop vomiting...I called out of work and drove myself to the E.R. They did some scans and bottom line is there was no evidence of acute appendicitis and the surgeon did not want to perform an appendectomy because he felt it was unwarranted. Symptoms were atypical, but they removed my appendix. I was on a morphine drip because it hurt so bad so unfortunately I dont remember much but I know for fact that the surgeon was forced or *made* to remove mine, which he described as perfectly healthy after the procedure.

Fast forward a few years, still have symptoms. I always assumed they were withdrawals but after I got clean, they were still present. Two Abdominal CTs were done with and without contrast and also a prostate exam and physical exam. No problems found other than her listening to my stomach and writing down "hyperactive bowel". My Primary Care doc put me on Bentyl which has been a LIFESAVER for me, episodes are much less frequent now.

But the attacks still happen. The weird part is that they are 95% of the time triggered by bending over.

Symptoms: RAPID onset within minutes of bending over, sharp stabbing sensations below my belly button and cramping, and the BAD attacks leave me sweating profusely, shaking, and cause vomiting and diarrhea, which seem to relieve symptoms sometimes. Standing up makes it better. Also I get knife-like pain in my abdomen just below my lowest ribs that comes and goes. Nobody can give me any answers other than my current diagnosis.

My diagnosis is Irritable Bowel Syndrome. But I can't see how bending over would cause it. Help! Anyone? Thanks for taking the time to read this!

mariajohnson responded:
You seem to have a really bad case of acid reflux. This could cause harm to your esophagus so you need to treat it soon.

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website