Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Ulcertive Colitus
AlanR1960 posted:
I have UC and in past years have been fairly crippled with this ailment. I also was a major user of Predinsone which has multiple side effects. IN the last 8 months I've moved off of Prednisone and I now take Allapuinol and I take Uceris. Uceris, as I understand it, is a replacement for Prednisone but doesn't have any of the full body side effects. For me the change has been dramatic. My life is back to a fairly normal routine and I don't have the urgency or accidents I used to have. My doctor hopes with the Allpurinol to get me off Uceris this year.

My only issue is early mornings that first bathroom trip of the day. My body really seems to struggle to push the bowel movement out. I guess this is due to it not being solid. Are there any remedies for this?

Also what does anyone know about this new surgery implanting donor feces in your intestines to get new "good" bacteria to take hold? Is that a possibly cure?

calgal37 responded:
Alan, fecal transplantation in Italy many years ago led to development of a probiotic called VSL#3. It has been very successful in helping those with U.C. You may want to check into its use in clinical trials. I believe many of the papers can be accessed on Medscape.

Fecal transplants are now being used in the U.S. for treatment of C. diff, but I've not heard of it's use for anything other than that.

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website