Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Bad breakout
v_too posted:
I was prescribed Prilosec/Omeprazole and had the opposite effect from everyone posting. I actually had a bad acne break out 2 days after starting the medicine. It started on my forehead and eventually covered my face. Two days after my breakout I realized that the only thing I've done differently was take the Omeprazole so I stopped taking it and almost over night the acne was gone. But now I'm back to square one since the reason I was taking it was for acid reflux. I guess I'll go back to nexium and see if a bigger dose helps.

An_255612 responded:
I like simple answers to simple questions. Prilosec and Nexium are now OTC because their 11 year stint has expired, as so has Zantac. Anytime a drug company wants to submit a drug to the government, they have 11 years to get it approved. If it takes 10 years to get it approved then they only have 1 year to reap the profits of having it a prescription drug. If they get it approved in 1 year, they have 10 years to do the same. Zantac is a Godsend. It works in 30 minutes and I know this from experience. Prilosec and Nexium have to load in your system to reach a therapuadic level. As for acne break-out I don't have a clue. Try the generic version of Zantac. Walmart sells it as (and excuse my spelling) Rantitidine. Saved my life. Hope this helps.

v_too replied to An_255612's response:
Thanks, I will try that. Maybe I was allergic to it or caused me to be allergic to something else. I don't know. But for sure I will try Zantac seeing as I don't have to dose it to see benefits.

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website