Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
gerd and constipation problems
angelbear75 posted:
was just diagnosed with gerd and constipation , my stomach is always bloated n feels full, my back hurts n its so irritating to feel sick all the time they put me on meds but i hate this feeling does it get better n how long does this take ?

kjam84 responded:
Hi, I've had that for 7-1/2 years, and I've been on a protein pump inhibitors since. I implore you, DO NOT TAKE THESE MEDS. I wish someone would have told me the same. There is a very good chance you will develop a dependency and have to continue this drug indefinitely (which is what I'm going through now). If you stop taking these meds, your problem will get much worse - unbearable - to the point of emergency room visits. What happens (which no one told me) is your stomach develops additional protein pumps which are in your stomach to produce acid. So when you stop the medicine, you have extra pumps producing more acid than necessary, which causes the most excruciating pain/sickness you will ever feel in your. Another serious side effect from taking these meds is the absorption of calcium. The meds prevent the absorption of calcium causing osteoporosis. Some doctors will not tell you all of this, and I don't know why. I'm just trying to warn you so you don't end up like me. If I had it all over to do again, I would have changed my diet, taken Pepcid, zantac, or something like that instead, and stayed far, far away from doctors.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website