Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Miralax
sherm80 posted:
Constipation is frequent in my life, meaning one GOOD movement a week. Dr. says Miralax is good to take daily, indefinitely, if needed. the instructions on the box, say no more than 7 days. What's the real scoop here?? I usually take Metamucil (which is natural fiber, psyillium), but Miralax seems different in the ingredients are more chemical-like.

Can Miralax be taken on a long-term basis, or should I stick with Metamucil??

lgerde responded:
I too am lucky to have one bowel movement per week . My doctor says Miralax is non habit forming and can be taken every day or twice a day if needed. It is a stool softener and works by pulling in liquid into your intestines, resulting in easier to pass stools. My Diverticulitus is a result of infrequent bowel movements.I have had one rupture and will have a surgery within a couple of months to resection my large intestine , I have also developed a fistula. Your doctor is giving good advice, I am 52 and paying for not being regular and I thought it was normal for me.

4sandishore responded:
I am from a family that took enemas every day as adults. I refused to ever start that. My GM lived to be 100 doing that!
I have had constipation issues my whole life, I took vegetable lax. every night for some time, it worked fine, then I got colitis, now I have long bouts of diarrhea every day all morning. My Gastroenterologist has me on steroids and that isn't helping much now. I am 70 and have tried the food issues, medications you name it they have had me on it. I take 3 meds now and they are not working. But to answer the Miralax question, yes it will work well for constipation, it is not habit forming, I was told to take it every day, drink lots of water, eat lots of soluble food.
My condition changes with stress. Good luck to you, give it a try.

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website