Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Reflux so bad I have bone pain
melissa1283 posted:
I have been having reflux so bad for so long (every single day, for months, possibly years since I actually didnt even know I was having it, it didnt feel like "heartburn") that I have days where my breastbone, clavical bones ect. are in so much pain, they ache and sometimes its sobad I cant lift my arms above my head, my bones even ache when I take a deep breath. I didnt originally know this was reflux until i saw my Dr about the pains who suggested it could be. I was put on prilosec OTC. After 1 week of taking it daily I felt 100% better, the pain was just GONE, there was no amount of healing time or period of mild soreness while I got better, it was just instant after a few days on the meds. Well, then i would forget to take them every so often, and it came back, again I couldnt feel the burning heartburn sensation, just the inflamed achy bone pain in my chest/neck/shoulders.

I then started taking the prilosec daily again but it wasnt helpinganymore so I added in DGL hoping to "heal" whatever damage had been done, im actually starting to be terrified that I have esophogeal cancer or something. sometimes if feels like there is a balloon in the middle of my chest stretching my esophogus out, but there is nothign in there.

I have started having a sore throat from the acid, but oddly i dont feel the heartburn feeling still (in the past, years ago, if i ever got heartburn I would feel it, but its not like that now.).

Im not sure what else to do at this point. I have a very very hard time being sedated or anything like that, mild sedation completely knocks me out for hours. I had my gallbladder removed 4 years ago and it took me 12 hours to wake up and I was still completely out of it and everything was hazy for a few hours, like I just couldn't filter out the anesthetic. This makes me fearful of having an endoscopy done.

Are my symptoms typical of GERD or reflux? Or should I be more concerned? Can reflux / gerd cause me to have severe achy bones in my chest?

kjme11374 responded:
Have you made appt just to sit down and talk to your doctor. You need to do this first......

As to the endoscopy, you will need someone to take you home afterwards, (or take a taxi) but it isnt so bad. Is IS Anesthesia (the doctor SHOULD have a proper anesthesiologist there). You go to sleep VERY quickly, and you (well, most people) wake up fairly quickly. I've had it done twice.......With the endoscopy, I personally wake up quickly and the first thing I do is EAT..............

Talk to Dr SPECIFICALLY about your sedation concerns. THe endoscopy may be the only way to see what's going on. Have they never suggested this before, or are have they suggested, and you are just fearful of the procedure?

I've had the other similar test. In both cases I refer to it as the best 10 min of sleep. While you DO sleep, the sedation is light because they wake you up so quickly.

Not sure what to say about the achy bones.

melissa1283 replied to kjme11374's response:
I plan to go back but id like to see if there is an alternative to the endoscopy first. I am breastfeeding and while I know I can nurse as soon as I am awake, I know it will take me too long to wake up and I can't be away from baby that long.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website