Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Can hemorrhoids cause a lot of bleeding?
mehan12702 posted:
Apologize in advance for the tmi.

For the last week I've had a harder stool than usual and every time I've had a bowel movement, there's been a lot of blood in the bowl. The stool itself isn't bloody, but there's blood all over the sides, in the water and on the tissue. I used WedMD symptom checker and it suggests that I have hemorrhoids (internal from the looks of it). Tonight I had some itchy, so I went to apply a cream and when I pushed down, blood immediately started to drip steadily. It really scared me because I haven't recently had a bowel movement and I'm concerned about bleeding internally.

Would hemorrhoids cause this kind of bleeding? I have hardly any pain or discomfort. Just occasional itching and recent constipation, which results in a lot of blood in the toilet. But this is the first time I just pushed down and blood starting flowing (about 8 drops in 15 or 20 seconds).

I had just gotten out of the tub about 10 mins prior. After seeing the blood I got real dizzy, but I'm not sure if that was from the bleeding, the scare or the hot temps from the bath.

georgiagail responded:
Yes; hemorrhoids can cause this kind of bleeding. But so can other medical issues. Best to get this looked into medically.

Keep in mind that even a small amount of blood looks like quite a bit in the toilet bowl.

Gail

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website