Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
smelly burps
t_town1960 posted:
My wife has developed something that causes her to occasionally burp and they smell unbelievably bad when she does. This seems to have increased over the last few months. She had a fusion surgery on her back a few years back and diabetes, asthma. All of which require her to be on several medications. I am not sure if this is somehow related since she has been taking these for years. Her doctor has yet to determine what the cause is but I can say without a doubt that the smell of these burps is outrageous and you can hardly stand to be in the same room when she has these. PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE...help if you have any idea what this is.

mariajohnson responded:
Smelly burps are normally caused by taking foods that are rich in proteins.

atti_editor responded:
Hi t_town1960,

You might want to look up possible side effects of the medications your wife is taking, or maybe user reviews (you can do so on the drug's website or in our Drugs & Medications Center ). Some people do report 'sulfur burps' when on certain diabetes medications. A sour or acidic stomach can also cause foul smelling burps -- this could be remedied by antacids. And, as Maria said, smelly burps can also be caused by diet (low card diets can also produce bad breath). Gastroparesis is also a consideration for those with diabetes, although I am sure that your doctor will have ruled this out in his initial exam.

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website