Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
SOD Diagnosis??
hmbigs posted:
I am a 35 year old female. I'll start with a little background. I do not have a gallbladder, it was removed about 10 years ago. Two years ago, I was on 1 medication, birth control, that was it. Then I had a root canal done that went very wrong and was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia and some various other types of nerve damage in my face. So, in the last 2 years, I have been thru a whirlwind of medications and today I am on quite a few. In February I was put on a medication called Nucynta. Two days after I was put on the medication, my back was killing me at work. By the end of the night, it was wrapping around to my front and was unbearable. The next morning I woke up and my abdomen was killing me from my rib cage down. My PCP sent me to the er. In the er, my lipase was elevated slightly, my glucose was elevated and they did a CT scan, which was negative. The er physician said it was a side effect to the medication and to stop taking it. Five days later it was getting so bad that I was having a difficult time breathing. I went back to the er, per my PCP. At this point, I had pancreatitis, but they said my lipase was not bad enough to be admit, so they sent me home on a liquid diet. The following week the GI doctor did a colonoscopy and EGD and both came back clear. It has now been 2 months and I have lost 16 lbs (and I am little to start). I have had a kidney/bladder sono, an MRCP, abdominal CT scan, colonoscopy, EGD, thoracic Echo. I finally made an appointment with the Cleveland Clinic's pancreas clinic and saw them this past week. I informed the physician that the Nucynta that started this all had a huge GI warning that said if you do not have a gall bladder, do not take this medication, because it can cause a spasm of the sphincter of oddi. He had blood work done and a Hida Scan. I did ask him about an ERCP. He was very quick to say he doesn't like rushing into ERCPs because of the risk for pancreatitis. I am miserable. Because I work in a very busy pharmacy, I have not worked for 8 weeks. I am nauseas, my abdomen and back hurt when I walk around or talk too much and I am having a terrible time eating. I need a diagnosis so some type of treatment can follow. I have read so much. Can this hida scan diagnose SOD? Or do you need to have an ERCP done to diagnose it? And does this sound like SOD?

calgal37 responded:
It does sound a lot like SOD. To my knowledge, an ERCP with manometry would have to be done. That, in conjunction with your symptoms, would allow the docs to make a diagnosis.
Did the doc suggest trials of any form of antispasm meds or calcium channel blockers?

hmbigs replied to calgal37's response:
No, not yet. I did locate the blood results from when I had pancreatitis and my liver functions were also elevated. This was one of the questions the pancreatologist had for me in Cleveland. Did you have a hida scan done? Do you think they can tell from a hida scan alone?

calgal37 replied to hmbigs's response:
Hmbigs, I don't have the condition. A HIDA scan can give you some answers, but not all. It has to be the results of all the tests put together that will give you a yes or no on SOD.

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website