Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Been sick for a month now..
lucaroline posted:
Alright, this is a handful:
Went on a cruise and on the second day got diarrhea. This lasted for 3 weeks. I assumed it to be a bug or a parasite or..? Anyway, the diarrhea stopped suddenly and I thought this was a good thing. Until this awful pain set in my lower abdomen. It got so bad that I went to the emergency room. They said I was extremely dehydrated and my white blood count was 25,000. Stayed for two days, they didn't figure out what was wrong, then went home.
Alright, then the diarrhea came back. And then stopped again. And the pain would not stop. I got set up with a GI doc and I have a colonoscopy in 9 days. Since I only want to go through with this if I HAVE to, I want to know if I can have any tests done via blood or stool?
In general, I am scared and in pain and need this to leave before I leave for college in 2 weeks..
Any suggestions would help. Even ones telling me to do the colonoscopy. Thank you.

gmom17 responded:
Don't avoid the tests as they give the doctors more information. A colonoscopy isn't painful and only takes a little while. There is a good chance that you may have picked up a bug before you took the cruise that took time to infect your intestines and had nothing to do with the cruise. The doctors may be able to get something from the intestines that identifies which is more likely.

calgal37 responded:
Did any of the docs do an ova and parasite test? Or any other form of test in the hospital or at the GI doc's?

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website