Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Baffling Symptoms
rohvannyn posted:
I intend to have my spouse go to a doctor for this but wanted to get some thoughts. I am not looking for a diagnosis, merely suggestions while we wait for a doctor to finally see us.

The symptoms are loose stool, frequently with yellow mucus and strands of bright red blood. The blood comes and goes. Low fever. Lower left quadrant pain that is positional and is usually associated with a tweaked disk in the spine. Other symptoms are excessive gas, bloating, fatigue, difficulty getting much in the stomach, sometimes night sweats. The gas is worst in the morning. We have been doing an elimination diet to see if it is dietary in nature.

Any thoughts or similar experiences? It's going to be at least a month before the doctor can see us, we can't afford the ER, and since she is ambulatory and the bleeding is minimal they won't consider it much of an emergency.

adhisstory responded:
Look up intussusception. There is also a "Clear Passage" web site you may want to contact. I learned things from what they sent me without joining.

Hinsight is 20/20 and I am certain that is what happened to me when I had an emergency appendectomy (34 yrs. ago). My white count was high and I also had fever.

Loose stool can be corrected with some turmeric and it is supposed to be a cancer fighter. I add some ginger which also fights cancer.

Impacted stool can cause fatigue. For the gas and bloating you might want to try non-dairy probiotics. I don't know if they allow brand names to be given here. I posted information that got me locked out of my account several years ago. It was difficult to get reinstated.

There are many "pros" on the market but the one I like the most starts with a "C" and is for "digestive health" in a yellow box. It says it is the #1 Clinically Studied Probiotic.

Capsules cause me problems because they are a hidden source of MSG (a lot of trouble for me) so I have to open it, pour the contents in a little unsweetened applesauce and drink a lot of water with it...8-10 oz. twice a day.

I'm sorry I've thrown a lot at you. I just hope something helps. Everyone eats differently so it's hard to know how to advise.

An_240228 replied to adhisstory's response:
I neglected to say that MD's allege adults do not suffer from this, only infants, but the products of my elimination declare otherwise. I had been diagnosed with IBS more than just a few years ago. Multiple CT's, MRI's and ultrasounds were all "normal". It appears if MD's cannot place you in a one-size-fits-all category you're on your own. With all due respect, their training does not entail effects from hidden sources of MSG or GMO's. New drugs are being manufactured for "new ailments". In my opinion, what has happened to our food supply is contributing to all these "new ailments" and the drugs being produced to fix things are being made from the very things making people ill.

rohvannyn replied to An_240228's response:
Hey, thanks for responding! Trust me, I will never turn away information, especially detailed information.

An_240228 replied to rohvannyn's response:
I don't know what happened to our communication above..."<br /><br/>" Do you know what that is?
One more thing...the critters we eat and get milk or eggs from are being fed GMO grasses and grains. We were big egg and meat eaters. I now get medium eggs instead of extra large and have reduced our meat consumption.

I get only frozen or canned vegetables without salt (we use sea salt) and cook all vegetables until tender. They have been picked at their peak so I feel they are better than fresh. We get butter without salt too. There is a flowing agent in table salt that can be another source of hidden MSG and I feel it contributes to more ailments than is recognized.

I stopped getting my husband 100% whole wheat. Any whole grains are going to cause problems. I get Old Fashioned Oats and cook them a little longer for me but my husband has to have his bread so I get unbleached white.

I hope this information helps. BTW, how is your husband?

rohvannyn replied to An_240228's response:
The <br /> stuff is just HTML tags, basically formatting stuff. For a few days WebMD was having a trouble displaying that but it seems to have been corrected.

We've tried to go as whole foods as budget allows, buying our chicken from a store that doesn't inject saline etc, not eating red meat, not eating vegetables that have anything extra in them, buying sea salt because of the dextrose used as a flowing agent in regular salt. We limit our grains, we don't eat wheat or gluten containing items, and we scrutinize our foods to avoid as many preservatives as possible. Now, I know a lot still gets through but we aren't made of money either.

Her symptoms have gotten a bit better, and we're trying a reduction diet to see what is causing the problem, giong with mostly soft foods in case something inside needs to heal. Last indication seems to be that overly hard nectarine flesh might irritate her. I suspect diverticulitis.

rohvannyn replied to rohvannyn's response:
Follow up: still no word from a medical professional. But we have discovered some commonalities. The blood seems to appear mostly in the morning. The mucous can be any time during the day. The bleeding will last for a couple of days then go away, and is triggered by excessive fats, certain preservatives, and abrasive or sometimes granular foods.

No gluten or gluten like foods are present, no corn, no grains other than white rice. No fibrous vegetables. Right now we are sticking to soft or well cooked foods and that seems to be helping. The symptoms are getting a little better with this diet but she is still having bouts of weakness and tiredness, lots of mucous.

rohvannyn responded:
Okay, I have an update on my spouse's symptoms. The bleeding has mostly resolved, ever since she went on a quality, high absorbability multivitamin. I think she was suffering from a lack of vitamin E, vitamin A, and other important nutrients which made her digestive tract overly sensitive to irritation. She still has mucus sometimes but not nearly as bad as it was. Now the other triggering factor seems to be certain spices and food additives. It's still not completely resolved but vastly improved.

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website