Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
price of remicade?
rednewbie posted:
Hi guys. I got some clarification from my doc, and it seems I have active crohns in my large intestines and small intestines. The doc mentioned Remicade. My first reaction is NO.. No.. No. I am scared to death of it. On a practical side, can someone tell me the average cost. I will be honest my husband is a teacher and with the economy who knows if he will have a job come September. And we will be without insurance. If I try to make this a financial decision, what am I looking at. Thank you; Gin

Naten1000 responded:
Hello there. I've been on Remicade for 3 years now, and it has been a miracle in my life. The only problem is that it is very expensive. My insurance is billed an average of $4,000-$5,000 per treatment. Luckily, I have never had to pay the full cost for treatment. I have heard of assistance programs available to those without insurance, but I don't know much about them. I hope this helps. Good luck to both of you!

jaimem92 responded:
There are many Remicade assistance programs. If you go to remicade.com they even have some options on there. Also even if you have insurance there is assistance programs. I'm on a copay assistance program where they pay my copay that my insurance doesn't pay.

blackcrimson responded:
If you wouldn't mind sharing what is the name of the copay assistance programs? My wife has U.C. and even though we have ins. we still are paying a lot for each infusion. We tried the program through remicade but we were denied because we have ins. Thanks!!

jerzilady69 responded:
Yes PLEASE someone share the name of any assistance program out there. I too might have to start remicade after all and with my insurance i am not able to afford the trearment. Thats why i havent gone that route and went with cimzia. I am on as assistance program with cimplicity to help pay for the cost of that medicine and is a huge help because they cover my whole copay. But i am not getting any relief and so it looks like Remicade it is. I went to the site Remicade.com and they really didnt help. So PLEASE anyone with any info i would GREATLY appreciate it. Thankyou everyone.

CMPatt responded:
Hi, I had 3 remicade treatments this past summer and I was billed $8000.00 a treatment, but my insurance paid 100%. Unfortunately it did not work for me because I had a blockage and had it removed in Sept. It has been great since, I wished they would have done the surgery sooner.

blackcrimson responded:
Someone let me know about a program called Remistart for those that have Ins. but still can't pay for the copays. I think if you just search for it online you can find information about it. The drug company that makes Remicade is doing it. My wife called and they took down our ins. information and are supposed to let us know if we qualify....whatever that means!?!? :-) I will keep you posted.

jerzilady69 responded:
Hey Blackcrimson, I want to thank you for the info on Remistart. I went on the site and read the info and i think i will qualify because they help people whose co-pay is more then $100 and mine would be $150. My GI and myself will be starting the process real soon. So once again thank you very much. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Here is a link that may help you find programs to help you pay for medications: Despite the name, you can actually make quite a bit of money and still qualify for many medications. Some are as high as 400% of the poverty level and others have no income requirement. NeedyMeds

Dot207 responded:
I was on Remicade for over a year and it was a wonderful medication for my Crohn's. It was the first time in 2 years that the bleeding stopped and the intestine calmed down. Yes, it is expensive and Yes, I too said "NO" for about 6 months. I was having to have blood transfusions at least once a month and I also could not stay on the prednisone. The side effects of the prednisone were awful. I had like next to no side effects on the Remicade. My insurance was billed about $4,000 to $5,000 for each transfusion and I went in every 8 weeks. I have been fortunate that I had insurance. I was told I would be on Remicade for the rest of my life. However, recently I had my large intestine removed and now have an ileostomy, as my small intestine does not have active Crohn's. I can only pray this will be the answer for me. I have an individual medical insurance policy, so that I do not have to worry about carrying a policy with an employer. I can change jobs and it will not effect my insurance, I just pay it every 3 months. I know you must be worried and that only makes the Crohn's worse. You may want to ask your doctor how long he would expect you to be on Remicade. Also, ask him if he knows of help from the drug company. I recently could not afford a medication that they wanted to send me home from the hospital with. Because my husband would be administering the medication a t home, the insurance would not cover $2,500 cost. The social worker at the hospital helped us and the drug company gave it to us. So I know that there is help out there. Keep looking and don't give up. I hope some of this was helpful. Dottie

mamagoat responded:
Hi, I am wondering if anyone knows of any help out there for my daughter to help pay bills that have already accoumulated from her remicade treatments. Her decuctible is $3500 and now has a $7000 bill sitting at her dr. The remicade works wonderfully for her and would hate to see her have to stop because she can't get the bill paid down. Thank you, mamagoat

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Yikes. Have your doctor contact Remicade, they may have help for you and really, talk to your daughter's doctor about options for the copays. NeedyMeds might have sources of help for you as well. The following resource helps you to learn ways of Managing Medical Bills.

jaimem92 responded:
hi the copay program i use is patient advocate foundation- copay relief.. it's been wonderful.. :)

Aperr responded:
I can't imagine being on remicade without insurance. The insurance is billed $21,000 every time I have an infusion. I only pay a fraction of that, but I was blown away by how expensive it was. I wonder why the price varies so much...

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website