Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
6MP and Prednisone
Scorp_75 posted:
I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH COLITIS TWO YEARS AGO AND HAVE BEEN ABLE TO AVOID STEROIDS AND IMMUNOSUPPRESEENTS UNTIL NOW.I VE BEEN ON ASACOL,LIALIDA THAT HELPED ME STAY IN REMMISION TILL FOUR MONTHES AGO.THE FLARE-UPS GOT BAD AND PERSISTANT.I STARTED MERCAPTOPURINE 50MG IN JANUARY (WITH LITTLE RESULTS SO FAR,SHE SHE UPPING IT TO 75MG SOON) STATRED 40MG OF PREDNISONE A DAY AND GONNA BE TAPPERING OFF IT OVER THE NEXT SIX WEEKS,UNTIL THE 6MP KICKS IN.WELL THATS THE PLAN ANYWAY.IVE HEARD MERCAPTOPURINE IS BECOMING EVER MORE POPULAR WITH SUCCESSFUL REMMISION RATES,YET I DONT SEE ANYONE ON HERE ON IT??WITH GOOD OR BAD RESULTS? THE PREDNISONE SIDE EFFECTS ARE ALREADY APPARANT AND IVE ONLY BEEN ON IT 4 DAYS,BUT THE PAIN IS SUBSUDING QUICKLY SO I FEEL ITS DOING ITS JOB..BUT I FEEL LIKE IM ON SPEED,ON CRACK!!NEVER DONE CRACK BEFORE THIS MUST BE WHAT ITS LIKE! LOL! ANXOIUS,NERVOUS,HYPER,HEADACHE IS CONSTANT AND THEN OF COURSE INSOMNIA...NEXT WEEK WHEN IM ON A LOWER DOSE I HOPE THE SIDE EFFECTS TAPPER OFF.I ALSO HOPE I DONT GO THROUGH WITHDRAWL SYSMPTOMS.SO ANYONE OUT THERE ON THIS PLAN OF MERCAPTOPURINE 6 MP WITH PREDNISONE? ID LIKE TO CHAT AND COMPARE THE EFFECTS OF THE DRUGS....THANKS! SINCERLY,OVERMEDICATED......
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
I was on 6-MP a number of years ago. Unfortunately, about the time it started to work for me, it tanked my WBC. I switched to azathioprine which is similar but not quite and it has done well. A few times I have been on both it and the prednisone.

The pred side effects taper with the taper for sure. Let your doctor know about the insomnia and anxiety though. Your doctor may be able to help.

atobin1971 responded:
I have been on 50mg of 6MP since my resection surgery back in 2001 and it has pretty much done it's job by keeping me in remission. I am also taking 250mg of Pentasa 8 a day. With the 6MP I really haven't experienced any side effects. I do have to get my blood checked every 3-4 months to monitor my white blood count and it always comes out good.

Grammyo2 responded:
The prednisone is what is making you so hyper. I tried the 6MP for about 3 weeks and it attacked my pancreas so I stopped that really fast. I started 40 mg of prednisone 7 months ago and I have only tapered to 10 mg. I can't get off of it so I start Humira in a couple of weeks.

It is VERY expensive but it it works then we will figure out a way to pay for it. Please don't get your hopes up of getting off the prednisone in the next few weeks. Even if the 6MP does help you may have to take both for awhile.

Good luck to you. grammyo2

Scorp_75 responded:
so your saying the azathiprine works better for you?as far as your WBC count goes?any other side effects with that?

Scorp_75 responded:
yes thats the same thing ive heard from ohters,,that getting off the prednisone isnt as easy and quick as my doc tells me,,im hoping hte 6MP will work! and i dont continue to have flare ups when im off the steroid! I hate the way this med makes me feel,but the pain is going away and thats the point right?uuugggg extremly frustrated.....

Scorp_75 responded:
Pentsa huh???never heard of it,,,will look it up,,,thanks for the advice guys!!

Scorp_75 responded:
ok the pentasa is another mesalaline pill,,i looked it up.Im on Lialdia also,which is mesaline,,thanks for the info tho!!

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
It is better than the 6-MP for me as far as my WBC goes...but that isn't the case for everyone. Some do better on the 6-MP, some on the azathioprine, some have WBC issues with both.

The side effects have really been minimal. Cuts heal slower. I had some hair loss at first with both...but not much. Taking it at night at some doses caused "morning sickness" but that seems to have gone away as well.

ryanhowe responded:
I was on 6mp for about a year @ 50mg a day. It helped but didn't do the job completely. My doctor up'ed it to 100mg a day. I have not had a flare up in 3 years, and have had no side effects that I know of.

Scorp_75 responded:
wow thats fantastic that it worked so well so for you,,and side effects??Your WBC is ok??My doc is upping my dose from 50mg to 75mg daily while im still on the prednisone in hopes that it will kick in while im tappering off the pred...i hope it works....i dont want to be on this prednisone!!Feel like im loing control!!

jerzilady69 responded:
Hi Scorp_75,,,i have been on 6mp and pred since june,,,,started at 50mg/day then went up to 100mg/day.......the 6mp doesnt affect my blood work even though i do get a certain bld test done frequently to keep an eye on my levels of the 6mp to see if it is theraputic,,,also to keep an eye on my liver functions...so far so good as far as bld works,,,now as far as the pred goes,,,,,that does throw off my blood work alot,,,i tapered off many times to be put right back to the 40mg i started with. I feel like my body needs it to function. while on the high does i have no major flares. I do suffer mild pain when i eat. Im sorry i forgot to mention that i suffer from Crohn's,(in my stomache). So im back to 35mg of pred along with cimzia which is an injection. The cimzia i just recently started so we are hoping it works well enough to completely come off the pred for good. If not it seems as if i will need a maintance does to keep the flares at ease. But as far as WBC's go mine have been fine. Its the pred that sends bld work out off wack. My glucose goes up, my platlets go up,. and a few other things,,but as soon as i taper the bld work goes back to normal(as normal as they should be wiht this disease). But dont let my bld work scare you,,,everyone reacts differently with meds. So good luck and if it works for thats great. I've been feeling like i am losing control since the beginning of all this (dx in march 08) but since starting the new med (cimzia) im starting to feel like i can live again, just hope it last, because i need to get off the pred like yesterday. Once again good luck and keep us posted.

aso0523 responded:
Hi, I don't check this often, but I saw your post and wanted to respond. I have had ulcerative colitis for 6 years. I have been on 6-MP for 4 of those years. It has been the only medicine that has worked for me. I also started asacol with it. I had 2.5 years without a flare-up, then I had a baby and it took me a while to get back to normal. I have now made it another year flare free. I am on 125 mg of it. I have never had issues with bloodwork. It is cheap and it has helped me so much.

Everyone is different, but I am so glad they found something. I had tried Colazal, Pentasa, (I was allergic to those) and I use prednisone if I am having a flare (yuck). I do my bloodwork, go to my appointments and have put a lot of faith in this med. I have tried remicade and it worked but it was expensive. I did that until my 6-MP kicked in!

Good Luck!

Scorp_75 responded:
Thanks for the advice.My doc just upped my 6-mp to 75mg daily.we are going to slowly up to to 100mg daily.Im tappering off prednisione right now.It only helped some and seemed to ease the pain and flare up for only two weeks and now im back to the way i was before it! If the pred is not gonna work i decided to not stay on it and continue to experience the side effects on top of evertthing elase.So we decided to up the 6-mp,tapper me off the pred.And i switched from Lialda to Aspricol(a new meslaline pill,heard of it???) becauuse the lialda stopped working. Im also anemic from all this so trying to take alot of vitmains.Im dizzy and tired evetyday.Sometimes fel so weak that im gonna pass out.Im soooooo over it!!Want my life back!

lisamary replied to Scorp_75's response:
please get this book: Breaking the viscious cycle. I got myself off med.s for ulcerative colitis by following this diet.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website