Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
GERD and Multiple Sclerosis
ergonoid posted:
My concern is that my GERD is actually a result of Multiple Sclerosis. I've had several diagnoses of other medical concerns that eventually just went away with no effect from doctor prescribed medications -- a typical scenario for MS. Often the doctor clearly states "Oh no, MS wouldn't cause that." Oh yeah!? I have had Multiple Sclerosis diagnosed for 16 years and last year was diagnosed with GERD. I couldn't believe it! I had no symptoms other than difficulty swallowing. I am taking Protonix, but find no change and only because I've been made aware, do I recognize any symptoms. Those symptoms of periodic difficulty swallowing or hiccups or belching do not "seem" to be relieved by Protonix or any of the other medications I tried. Worst is that I cannot believe the diet we GERD sufferers are to be on. Avoiding some foods is reasonable, but the list contains nearly every food. I'm frustrated and though I've read a lot, I do not understand my GERD and believe mine is a result of MS. Does anyone have information or similar experience regarding this potential? :confused:

ArmyMomAtHome responded:
ergonoid: I have PPMS (dxd 1997) and was dxd with gerd about 2 years ago. I also believe that they might be related. I choke and and cannot get air in. My vocal cords clamp shut. It is called Laryngospasms. When I looked up Laryngospasms on Google, it tells me that it is cased by GERD. lol A big circle... But I'm with you. I couldn't swallow properly and was sent for a barium swallow test, and sent to an ENT for further study. He put a tube down my nose into my throat to look at my vocal cords. I also went to a Speech Pathologist for vocal cords to be looked at because I can't swallow normally. Nothing was dxd except for gerd. I even had to be put under and a tube of some kind was sent down my throat into my esophogas to make sure or see what was was going on. My neuro even had me do a new mri to make sure it hadn't made lesions in my "swallow" area of my brain. Nope. Not MS related everyone says. But I don' t know... Good luck. I know I am constantly looking for answers. That's how I found you...

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
36 of 60 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website