Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Nissen Fundoplication
zootsuit174785 posted:
Hi,

I had the Nissen fundo done 9 years ago. Lately I have been having severe gastro issues (heartburn, constipation, diarrhea, chest pain, etc). I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done last waiting and am still waiting for my results but while there my doc mentioned the possibility of needing the have the fundo redone Has anybody heard of needing to have it redone or had it redone themselves. I had so many complications with the first I don't know if I want to do it again but I know that I don't want to have to continue the way I am feeling right now.

He also want to put me on Reglan to see if relieves the constant NAUSEA. If anyone can let me know there experiences with this drug it would be great!

Any info would be appreciated!

Bill
FirstPrevious12NextLast

CalGal37 responded:
Bill, I don't have this problem, but many do have to have the operation redone as the wrap will loosen over time. It's unfortunately not unknown. I believe the 'life' of the wrap is about 10 years.

Mary4864 responded:
Hi Bill, Just had the Nissen Fundo. done on aug 28th and Dr. explained down side is that in 8 to 10 yrs i might have to have it done again. My sister in law had it redone a year ago and she said that it was much easier this time around. But I am having complications and this is my 1st. The pain on my left kidney is sooo bad. My sister inlaw is a nurse and I asked her about the reglan and she has not heard of it. Have you tried it? I want to know the difference between the lap band and the nissen fund. - I know 1 places a band but from what i have found, the fundementals are the same.... could this be one option for you.. Mary

CalGal37 responded:
Mary, the lap band surgery is to help lose weight not to control reflux. The lap band will not help to control reflux. The lap band places a band around a portion of the top of the stomach.

There is another technique that is currently being investigated. It places a ring of 'beaded' material of some sort around the outside of the LES at the junction of the stomach and the esophagus in the hope that it will control reflux, but I'm not sure how the studies are going. When a device similar to this was used a number of years ago the outcome was not positive.

AnxietyTed responded:
I had mine done by a great doc in SF and if you want more info just ask. I heard all the horror stories of the procedure and how i wouldn't be able to burp and all. He guaranteed everything and he nailed it. I can burp and throw up if need be, and best of all, zero heartburn.

Mine was two years ago. This ten year thing is news to me. And not good news that's for sure.

Ted

cwitch1 responded:
Hi Bill

I had the surgery on 9-17. When I discussed the surgery with my surgeon he told me 10% of the people had to have it redone after 10 years.

As far as the Reglan go?s, I was taking it three times a day for about 8 months. I have never been able to tell any difference in my symptoms but the doctors insisted that it worked. About two weeks ago I read an article about Reglan causing a neurological disorder. It evidently causes you to have involuntary and repetitive movements of the body even after you stop taking the drug. So I would broach the pro?s and con?s with my doctor before taking. I personally have stopped taking the drug.

popsabigail responded:
thank all of you for your posts. i will have the procedure in 2 weeks and am praying for good results. My doc said i would be on Reglan for 1 month post op. I never really thought about the vomiting thing, but in case i need to when sick, i hope i can.

popsabigail responded:
my doc said i will be in the hospital for 2 days and back to work in 2 weeks, do yall find this to be true of this procedure along with the removal of the gallbladder?

muskee responded:
I've heard of the procedure and it can be very effective. Good luck to you! I'll be thinking of you.

mattnapa responded:
Ted- Not sure if you are still here, but any info on the S.F Fudo Doctor would be appreciated.Glad it went well

lilma122 responded:
mmmm i kno im kinda late but i had that surgery done when i was baby and it has never came undone...i would kno if it did cuz i would have difficulty breathing(thats y i had it done) so that you shouldnt worry about as for the heartburn and stuff like that you should go see a doctor cause u never know

Julio_cj replied to lilma122's response:
Hello all. I had my fundo done in Jan 2009 since a year ago I begun feeling the troath pain; I feel that 2 years is very short time for having it redone. Can some comment on the rate of sucess (sttoping the reflux) for longer time ? my Doc said the first time that it should last 8-10years, but it came losse sooner. I will have a Endoscopy done in 2 weeks to explore how tight the Fundo is. Thanks All.

Milw61 replied to Julio_cj's response:
Having my fundo in 3 days. How did your endoscopy go Julio? are you having a re-do? I wish the sucess stories would post on these groups so people facing surgery could get just a little peace of mind.

An_248933 responded:
Hi Bill. First off Zofran is better for nausea . Reglan is awful. And if anyone knows anything about Nissens its me . I just had me 3rd red-do !! And listen to me when I say DO NOT have the re peat done !! You will never be the same again ! I am going through hell !! I thought I had it bad before , and let me tell you , Im 3 million times worse ! I had to have it done because mine was coming apart. I had nothing but complications with the first one too. The best things that are working for me are the omeprazole pills. Carafate suspension and a total change in diet. I know it sucks but its something we have to accept and live with for the rest of our lives ! PLease I am begging you do not go thru with the surgery .. you will pay dearly

BMJ60 replied to AnxietyTed's response:
LUCKY YOU TED!!! I HAD A NISSEN OPERATION 9 MONTHS AGO, AND NOW MY HEARTBURN IS BACK IN A BIG WAY. LOOKING FOR A DOCTOR THAT HAS DONE MANY MANY RE DO NISSEN OPERATIONS. CAN I PLEASE GET THE NAME OF YOUR DOC?

ONCE AGAIN, CONGRATS ON YOUR OPERATION.
SINCERELY, BMJ60

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website