Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Acid Reflux-burning in mouth
snowy77 posted:
I was recently diagnosed with acid reflux. Does anyone know if this can cause not only a sore throat, but a burning in my mouth. A feeling like I drank something hot and burned my tongue. My gums are also sore along with the inside of my cheeks. Is this related to acid reflux? :sad:

CalGal37 responded:
Snow, the feeling you have in your mouth may not be related to acid reflux. If it's what people typically experience it's called 'burning mouth syndrome' and no one really knows what causes it. But if you've recently started meds for the acid reflux, it might also be a side-effect of the medication, since they can have some really 'strange' side-effects in some people. Check with your doc.

RVHARRY responded:
You have the same thing I have, LPR Reflux. I have mucos and acid coming up into my mouth all day long. I would welcome Gerd after living with this. I recently had the new TIF surgery for this and have had very little results.

wellnessmom4 responded:
I, too, have LPR reflux and, yes, it can cause all sorts of mouth (and sinus) symptoms according to my ENT doc. When I went to him I had a sore mouth, tongue, roof of mouth, and throat (not to mention my entire esophagus), BUT, I never had a "burning" sensation in my mouth, just pain. So I won't unequivocally say your burning mouth is acid reflux, but I guess it could or couldn't be. On the bright side, something has worked to alleviate my mouth and throat pain because it's not nearly as bad as it was a few weeks ago. I've eliminated caffeine, chocolate, and sodas, elevated the head of my bed, and have been taking omeprazole (20 mg. twice daily) and Gaviscon liquid. I still have a lot of chest discomfort, but my mouth and throat are definitely better.

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website