Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
The trend among teenage boys
msp36 posted:
My son has told me tha t alot of of his friends ( guys) at school are turning to bulimia as a way to maintain weight, which alarms me. I asked him if he was purging and he denied it, but that might be because he is lying. The social implications of having an eating disorder used to be taboo, but now it seams asthough it has slipped into the realm of avant gard. Does anyone have any teenage male friends or children whom currently engage in this practice? Have you heard of an inccrease in EDs in teenage guys? Just curious. Thanx

kaybunn responded:
I'm 18 years old and I can personally say that I know a number of teenage male friends of mine that turn to bulimia. Most of them are wrestlers because they need to stay within a certain weight range in order to compete. Another thing that a few of my guy friends have done is deliberately binge if they are trying to gain weight in order to compete as well. I have a friend who is about 120 pounds and will go home everyday and load up on food until he feels sick just so he can gain weight. And I know plenty of wrestlers who will eat normal amounts of food and purge to either lose or maintain their weight, I'm not sure if your son plays any sports but if he does than it could be a warning sign if all of his friends are doing it.

As much as it sucks to say this, bulimia could be a peer pressure thing for teens just like drinking, smoking cigarettes and doing various drugs. I'm not saying that your son is purging, by any means. I would just lookout for any warning signs like leaving the dinner table to go to the bathroom or "take a shower". since every bulimic in the world has used both of those excuses.

hopefully that helps a little bit.
--Kristin

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Msp and welcome to WebMD,

While you're waiting for more responses, click here for links to information on this eating disorder, including when it comes to males.

I wish you and your son well. I'm glad the discussion with him has at least begun.

msp36 replied to kaybunn's response:
Thanks for your reply Kristen, and thanks for the link to the informational sights. I am worried about him. i know if I approach him he will lie about it, just like I did from the age of thirteen untill i was 35. I suppose making weight in wrestling is part of why I started many many moons ago.

He has been disapearing into the bathroom right after supper. I feel like a hippocrite approaching him about it because I am still very bulimic. I am going in tomorrow to have a root canal and three molars removed. I am only 36 years old.

He can't out fox me, unfortunatly I know all of the tricks, EDS are hell, and mine is catching up to me. I don't want him to get caught up the way I have. oh crap he just walked in and I don't want him tp see what I am writing.

Have a great day all

Oopsla replied to msp36's response:
In a small way I think it would be good that it was socially out in the open in teens. At least then there might be less of a stigma attached, less hiding, and less feelings of guilt. It might be easier for a child to get help.
Jockeys, gymnasts, wrestlers, dancer, actors, etc. are at risk. Teen years are bad enough. The eating disorders have been happening for decades with everyone suffering behind closed doors. Maybe a little light will help on the matter.

As for MSP and his son... Well there are things you always hide from your parents. I hope that gets resolved. And I do hope you are working towards an ED free life. Sorry about the tooth trouble. I feel your pain.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello. My story is pretty simple. I was a gymnast my entire life up until 5 years ago. Since I quit gymnastics I have begun to gain weight and started...More

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.