Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Binge Eating Disorder
CatWoman1971 posted:
Does anybody else suffer from this eating disorder? I suffer from Binge Eating Disorder that borders on Bulimia. I have tried to rid myself of the excess calories by exercising compulsively. However, it hasn't been enough to keep the weight off, and I have become less and less compulsive/motivated to exercise. So I have gained even more weight.

I have read the information regarding Binge Eating Disorder, and it describes what I am going through perfectly. All I seem to think about is food, day in, day out, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

The few people I have mentioned this to act like it's not a "real" eating disorder (my former therapist included). This has made me more secretive and ashamed.

Any thoughts or support??

Oopsla responded:
Hey Cat,

You may want to look up exercise bulimia. It might be one of the pieces to the puzzle. But honestly what is in a name? It doesn't matter too much if your ex-therapist doesn't call it an eating disorder or not. It is what it is and it is running your life.

The problem with just exercising is that it is very easy to burn yourself out. I am living proof of it (as I sit here rubbing my sore knee, arm, neck...). This might be a reason your are less motivated.

Now I cannot remember where you are on your BMI. If it is low I can really afirm that it is really easy for your body to rebel and for you want of food to be ever present.

I have found that I must take times like these and just acept them graciously. Right now my body is screaming for mercy. And I am trying to listen to it. So should you. Take rest Cat. Really. And get some good nutrition in you. Rest your mind.

Let me know what you think of the exercise bulimia and how it may fit or not with you.

Oops

CatWoman1971 replied to Oopsla's response:
Thanks for responding, Oops. I did read a little about exercise bulimia. Most of my focus seems to be on the food and what I can eat (both regularly and what I can binge on) rather than the actual burning of calories at this point. So not sure what to think. I like what you said - what is in a name, and it is what it is and it is indeed running my life.

My BMI is about 28 and growing. I have lost and gained huge amounts of weight 2 other times in my life (huge amounts being 50 - 60 pounds). I don't want this to be a third time! I am also going crazy thinking about what other people will think about me if I gain the weight back AGAIN.

I know I have many issues to work through. I need to find the time, energy and money to look for a new therapist and work through the insurance hoops.

Thank you for your kind words.

Oopsla replied to CatWoman1971's response:
Hi Cat,

And you must let go of the "fear and loathing". The stress is wigging you out.

Have you thought about your relationship with food? Eat when stressed? Eat for love? Eat for no reason? Ask yourself about the relationship. See what you can figure out about that.

Sounds like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself. Be kind to yourself. You are the only you that you'll ever have.

Oops

Anon_237616 responded:
I undertand this..I am going through similar struggles..just a little bit different...I never have been involved with an online community of those dealing with ED's..

kap34 responded:
Strangely enough, I suffered binge eating disorder until I was about to be involuntarily hospitalized. When I was in the hospital, I saw how uncomfortable and cold it was, realizing how unhappy I would be there. I had gained twenty pounds in one month, but I knew that somehow I would get through it (for some reason it was like an epiphany). I have to eat every meal with my mom so she can verify that I don't eat more than I should. She also checks my room to make sure I didn't sneak anything in and I can't drive anywhere without her. I don't have a doctor for it and I don't take any meds. I just created a support system that really works. And the fact that your former therapist said BED is not real, very sad. I'm sorry you have to go through this; it hurts like no other.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Momma of 6 children, 3 beautiful girls ages, 20, 26, and 27 and 3 handsome boys ages, 21, 16, and 14. My 26 and 27 year old have finished college. My ...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 13 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.