Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What's All The Fuss About?
Licorice1977 posted:
Hi!

I don't believe I've posted in these forums before. Anyway, I've suffered from Anorexia on and off since I was 16 years old and I just turned 33. I went into several treatment centers in my 20's. I think I got out of my last one about 5 years ago.

So I went from Anorexic to Overweight. I decided to do something about it. I lost some weight over the past year and am now a normal weight. Now everyone around me thinks I look sickly (again) and that I should go into treatment again. I don't see the problem as I lost the weight in a healthy manner and I am not even underweight.

What's all the fuss about? I consider myself to be recovered at this point...

Licorice
FirstPrevious12NextLast

lostkate responded:
Hi Licorice
Welcome to the exchanges.

I did the same thing, I was anorexic in my early 20's, went to therapy, recovered, became overweight. Started to diet/exercise to get the weight off and I did. People started asking me if I was sick or what was wrong. I knew there was a fine line between getting the weight off and becoming anorexic again. Well I am now 47 and crossed that line. I have been really struggling the past year with it. I have my good days and bad.

People who are asking you about your weight, care for you very much and want to make sure you are ok. If you are still eating healthy and taking care of yourself then don't let them get to you. You should be proud of yourself that you are truly recovered.

What bothers me with your statement is why its bothering you that people are making such a fuss about it. Do feel good about how you look? Thats what you need to ask yourself.

These are just my thoughts, I'm not very good at responding, I don't do it much but you sounded a lot like me.

Take Care of yourself.
Kate

Licorice1977 replied to lostkate's response:
Hi Kate!
Thank you for replying. No, I do not feel good about myself. I'd still like to lose some more weight. I don't see that happening, though, with all the food that I'm having at the moment. It's terrible. I wish that I could feel good about myself, but I just don't think that it's ever going to happen.

Licorice

lostkate replied to Licorice1977's response:
I know what you mean. I am having the same problem lately. I found myself not feeling like I have lost enough weight. I am 5'4'', 120, which is a good, healthy weight for me but would like to be thinner. I feel I don't look good. At times, I can eat all day, not a lot at one time, little snacks. Then I don't feel good about myself, get upset with myself for eating. There are reasons(issues) we do this, I am still figuring out mine. As I was losing the weight, which was fast, I knew with my history, I called my old therapist and asked to see her. Luckily she wasn't retired yet, which I thought she might have been, she agreed to see me. So now I am back in therapy, which helps. Are you seeing a therapist?

Kate

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
test

lostkate replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
test????, Caprice, having problems with your computer.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to lostkate's response:
Ack! I thought I removed that. LOL!

No, no problems on my end but some of our communities were having problems posting responses with certain browsers on Monday and Tuesday and I was testing all of mine to check on which ones had issues and which didn't.

How are you doing, Kate? :-)

Hi Caprice,

I have my good and bad days. Lately more bad then good. I need to get a second opinion about my period. I really think I need a DNC. This passed week has totally drained me, both physically and mentally. I know my iron is very low, I think thats why I have been sleeping a lot and feeling really tired but all of this is also making me very depressed. My eating habits are not helping. I feel like a mess lately. I am just trying to pull myself together. Its not working.

I really like my apartment but do find it too quiet at times. There is a beach near by that I go to often. I have a lot of emotions going thru me, sometimes I don't feel like I deserve the people in my life, other times I feel like what I would do without them. I really miss my kids. That is what hurts the most. I know I did the right thing moving out. My husband keeps calling me asking why I don't call him. He said I am disassociating myself from everyone. Sometimes I wonder if I am doing it to everyone, I know I am doing it from him. This is first time I have written anything in a long time. I found it hard lately to write or talk to people about whats going on, even my therapist. I don't have the energy anymore. Again, it could be my period. I just feel really lost.

I can't believe I wrote this much.

Kate

Dear Kate,

Maybe you're starting to find your way back, considering how you shared here. (((softhugs)))

I hope you'll see the doctor to find out what's going on, if your iron really is low and what can be done about it.

How lucky you are to have that beach to go to. I hope you'll also take steps to start eating healthier too.

Do you have contact with your kids? How often do you talk with them? How often do you see them?

I feel at times I am finding my way back but there are times like tonight that I am totally out of control. Wish I could explain it more but I can't. I feel that I can not share it with anyone.

I am lucky to have the beach near by, they have small bands on the weekends and concerts thru out the summer. The lady I rent from says you dont even have to go down to the beach to hear them.

My iron is low because of the amount that I am losing during my period. I take iron pills, which helps a little. I need to go to a doctor, maybe another sonogram.

My daughter texts me almost everyday. The texts are usually about how much her father is being a jerk or she needs something. My son, I see twice a week at work. He works part-time in my office. We have not set up a schedule for weekends with my daughter yet, she is involved with softball but its almost over. I hoping she may want to stay one night during the week, maybe every other weekend. Once school is over we can work something out. I sometimes feel she is pushing me out of life and its my own fault.

Still feel lost and confused.

Kate

lostkate replied to lostkate's response:
Licorice, sorry I feel like I have side track your discussion. I need to remember to start a new discussion next time. Again, sorry.

How are you doing?

Kate

I'm glad you still have contact with your kids and it looks like there's reason to think it will get better in that area too.

It's a scary time for you, I know, and I remember what it was like. (((hugs)))

Step by step, you are getting through this, Kate, and I hope you give yourself credit for that.

Hi Licorice,

Like Kate, I'm wondering how YOU are doing.

Licorice1977 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi,

I'm doing okay. Just trying to get to know everyone a little and read through some posts and stuff.

Licorice

Oopsla replied to Licorice1977's response:
Hey Licorice,

There will be many people in your life that will say stuff about your image. So we have to ask ourselves ourselves about these comments without getting too emotional. But... before I get to that. Congrats on seeking help when you needed it and when you lost weight in a good way. Ok back to it.
I cannot say if you lost too much weight or not or too fast or if your diet is lacking anything. I can only say that you have had the schooling on your condition. You need to believe in yourself and what you were taught. You should be able to read the signs when you are slipping.

The big deal isn't a big deal. It is only a comment made that you should look at and decide if there is any validity. My only thought on the matter would be to proove to yourself, and only yourself that you are in control. Maybe take a month off frm dieting and keep you weight at the level you are at. Take this month to work on healthy meals and how to maintain your weight. personally I have found that it is easy to gain or lose weight. It can be difficult to keep at a level weight.

I personally have been free from the A and B/P for years but the wounds are still tender. I continually try to build a strong relationship with the what I eat, the exercise I get and my self imagine. I think it is something we all here will struggle with from time to time. Knowing when times are bad and accept help, or take a break from and help yourself, do things to keep from getting in ruts. Change up

Be strong, and believe in yourself.

Best,
Oops

Spotlight: Member Stories

i hate my life! I"LL ALWAYS HATE MY LIFE!!!!

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.