Skip to content
stomach problems from my eating disorder are scaring me
ivymaef posted:
i have had bulemia for 7 years and ive thrown up pretty much every day. Until recently it hasnt caused me any problems. the past few weeks i cant eat as much as i used to, i have sharp pains in my stomach. and i feel like im full when i barely ate at all. it hurts keep food down. im worried it could be something wrong. but dont want to go to a doctor until i get some opinions from people who know what they're talking about or have been through this.
shinedown responded:
Hi-I have been bulimic for over 25 years. When I was in my 20's I binged and purged most days, several times a day. I remember having sharp stomach pain at times and feeling like my stomach lining was raw if that makes sense but it never hurt to keep food down. About a year ago I started to worry about the possible damage I may have caused my stomach and esophagus over the years even though I wasn't having any symptoms.

I decided that instead of worrying about the possibility of something being wrong I would get it checked out and get some peace of mind. I had a Gastrointerologist scope everything from my esophagus to my colon and everything ended up being fine. After my checkup I decided enough was enough and I had the doctor refer me to a counselor who specialized in Eating disorders. I am still seeing her and I am making slow but steady progress.

I would encourage you to see a doctor that you feel comfortable sharing your eating disorder history with. If they feel that you need to be scoped make sure they refer you to a gastrointerologist as they spend years being trained in these type of procedures. The procedure is painless and over before you know it.

I wish I could give you a more definite answer but for me just knowing what was or wasn't wrong was a relief and from there I was ready to say enough is enough and finally get into therapy with an ED Specialist.

I know you have the courage to seek help and you will feel much better addressing the problem. Please keep us updated on your situation.
Oopsla replied to shinedown's response:
Please see a doctor. My guess (which is ONLY a guess) is that you sprained your diaphragm or some tore some interconnective tissues/ligaments.

And please listen to Shinedown.

Maybe this is the time to turn over a new leaf Ivy?
Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to Oopsla's response:
Oopsla is very right. Please contact your doctor.
ivymaef replied to shinedown's response:
you all are right. ive been scared to go to a doctor but it needs to be done. so thank u on your imput. i plan on making a doctors appointment soon. my health insurance is shakey but maybe i'll find something.
Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to ivymaef's response:
Hi ivymaef, You can go to any emergency room and they will send you to urgent care, which may help. Please keep us updated.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am so fat i can't stand myself. i have never been this fat before. A while back i started eating ice cream every day. It was like an obsession. ...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 14 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.