Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

so lost.
    LoverlyLaurie posted:
    hey there everyone. havent been on webmd's ed community exchange in a while, but figured it wouldnt hurt. i'm really struggling right now with restricting and binging back and forth. my parents are going through a divorce and i'm just so scared. i'm trying to numb myself with food or punish myself with restriction. i just feel so lost right now and wandering aimlessly in life. i hate this.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us look at the stars. -Oscar Wilde
    www.youtube.com/user/ChaosInAGlassCage

emstoy09 responded:
    ((HUGS)) Laurie,
    I just wanted you to know that you absolutely aren't alone in your feelings. Although I don't have any experience with divorce, I completely relate to that feeling of numbness you described. It's almost like I crave the numbness that comes, for me, from not eating and sort of going into this "nothing" state where I just float around. That numbness can be comforting and protect me almost.

Anyway, I get that you can use your ED to gain that control you don't have over your parents' divorce. Is there something else you could focus your control on as a "distraction" or just a goal to work on that can make you feel accomplished even when things around you may seem like they are crumbling?

I guess the really scary thing about ED's is that we think we are in control by restricting/bingeing/purging, but really we are being controlled instead. Knowing that rationally is still no match for the emotional part of my brain right now ... so I'm not saying it's easy, because it's not - but we really do need to find some *positive* way to take control of our lives instead, you know??

Thinking about you tonight,
    ~emstoy
    Just when the caterpillar thought the world would end . . .

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi Laurie,

Welcome back! Have you consider talking to your parents about how the divorce is upsetting you? Many parents are so focused on their feelings that they lose site of how it might impact their children.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 29 F. I have been hoarding and binging since age 6. I remember the day my mother told me I was not allowed to eat certain foods, while the rest o...More

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
    Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    11 of 22 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.