Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
When is it considered an Eating Disorder?
nopoin posted:
I was diagnosed with major Depressive Disorder and Boarder line Personality Disorder, followed by 14 years of Self Injury, recently I have been in therapy for about a year. Recently I have been going back and forth with which medicine is best to treat my disorders, Then about 2 months ago I noticed I wasn't eating as much or I was feeling like I was going to be sick, none of this due to the medicines or not eating like I used to. My mind set when it comes to food has changed. I'm the type of person that if I feel like I'm going to be sick I would rather make myself throw up to get the feeling over with. My question is when does it become an eating disorder? I have enough to deal with I really don't need this to. I am as of right now not practicing Self Injury ( cutting ) could this new issue be because I'm not cutting? if so How do I not replace one for the other? Help.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Nopoin,

I am sorry you are dealing with so much right now. If you feel nauseated after eating it could be a medical issue. Consider speaking with your doctor. Have you let your therapist know that you are feeling nauseated?

nopoin replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
To Lainey ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

No I sort of told him in a somewhat short e mail. I won't be able to see him again until April, three of the medicines I have been on for over 6 months, they have never bothered me. I was hoping this new thing wasn't in anyway connected to me not cutting, I don't need any more trigger things, nor do I need a negative activity to sud in for another negative activity. I was just looking for some answers, I have to drop some paper work off at their office tomarrow I will talk to the nurse about it thanks.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to nopoin's response:
Hi Nopoin,

I hope the nurse can help. Please keep us updated.

Soft hugs

To Lainey-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------POSSIBLE TRIGGER--------------------------------

Well it's the end of a very long week, The kind of week where you should have just stayed in bed. I did catch up with my nurse at the clinic, we had to go over my paper work for medicine assistants program, of course she had to if the depakote is working, it is however I told her I was making myself throw up after i ate cause i felt like i was going to anyways, she said that wasn't a good enough reason. So today I had to eat through out the day like i would normally do and fight past needing to throw up after i ate. the morning went ok at lunch time it was bad,but I'm glad to say that I fought past it, I kept telling myself that my hands are tied and I wasn't going to use them to throw up. Since then I have eaten an afternoon snack and a late dinner, I feel ok for right now. There is nobody in the house to watch like at work, I will have to trust myself and hope each day gets better

Hi Nopoin,

Everyday can be difficult but please feel free to come here to find support. :)

well I'm eating a little bit these days however I'm eating a lot of ice cream. I'm also under a lot more stress my eating is more normal under stress does that mean when I get over being stressed and the icecream is gone I will have another hard time eating much of anything? before of after i put on 10 pounds

Hi Nopoin,

ED is different for everyone. Stress can cause an ED suffer to go either way. Learning about your ED habits can help you know how life can cause your eating to change.

When the stress begins to ease up, keep an eye on any changes and hopefully you will notice quick enough to stop it. Let your counselor know about any changes too.

Soft hugs,

Lainey

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im a seventeen year old feshmen in college. Im a psych major, and i want to study EDs more than anything. Maybe oneday we'll have a legitamate tre...More

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.