Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anorexic Survivor Creates Life Size Barbie To Bring Awareness
Lainey_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hello community,

WebMD's blog, Reality Check, has an interesting new blog entry:

Life Size Barbie was created by an anorexia survivor and college student, Galien Slaven who created the Barbie for her school's National Eating Disorder week.

Further internet research on Galien Slaven and her life size Barbie doll brings some riveting quotes.

Christian Science Monitor "Slayen identified so closely with her beloved Barbie dolls, she told Today, that she "figured that was what I was supposed to look like" and fell down the slippery slope of an eating disorder."

The Today Show "I'm not blaming Barbie [for my illness> — she's one small factor, an environmental factor," Slayen said. "I'm blond and blue-eyed and I figured that was what I was supposed to look like. She was my idol. It impacted the way I looked at myself."

Most eating disorders are kept a secret because the fear of judgment or lack of understanding and this really did grab my attention.

What do you think of Gallien's Barbie and the messages we receive about what our goals should be when it comes to how we look?

Spotlight: Member Stories

33 y.o. now, and was supposed to have ED behaviours kicked before I turned 29. I went to treatment immediately out of college and was in community wit...More

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.