Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Scales
IceFishn posted:
I have thrown out three scales in the last 4 months. I went threw all of my cousin's stuff looking for her scale and broke down crying in a ball on the floor because I couldnt find it...So I bought a new one which lasted a whole four days. Therapist said either bring it in to me or a reciept showing you returned it or I will hospitalize you..... What a choice...Therapist told me to draw a scale and put something positive on it like, "Im okay", "You are Beautiful", etc.. When I have the urge to get on... which is about 30 times a day.... I stand on it instead.......I laughed but now I am full of anxiety on implementing the request.....Anyone feel similar? What have you done that works?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi IceFishn,

I hope that others will be responding soon because I suspect you are not alone. (((hugs))) In the meantime, I wanted to welcome you here.

minzz responded:
Ice,
I identify with you!
I have to keep tapping this stupid scale and I have to measure 12 points of my body countless countless times daily.
the measuring tape and the scale tell me exactly how to feel, which is never satisfied.
I dont want to have to weigh before during and after meals (its in the kitchen) and like an OCD I tap and weigh 5 times in a row because it varies by 0.2 lbs sometimes.
and I hate having to get up in the middle of the night to check to see if I magically lost an inch when I didn't do anything to deserve it.
I want to just measure and weigh in the morning, (when the numbers are lowest, obviously)
You inspire me with the "nice" scale, but unfortunately I cant just replace my scale because my mom needs it (she had gastric bypass and without any effort went from 235 to 105 in a year- now shes thinner than me)

If I had a chainsaw I would cut off my disgusting rolls.

Anyway I know how you feel, and I realized just after typing some of my habits how absurd they must be.
Stupid numbers! -but that little part of me wishes i could find a scale that measures to the hundredth of a pound!

Similar gal,
minzz

lostkate responded:
Hi

Total understand what you are feeling, When I moved out of my house I purposely didnt take the scale. I knew that I would be on all the time. After about 3 days I had to go buy one, then realized it was showing the same weight all the time. When my daughter step on it, it said the same weight I was. It was broken and making me very frustrated. So I through it out and got another one, just to calm my anxiety. I try not to go on it often but I do. Your therapists idea sounds like a good one, I might try myself.

I go from where Im on it all the time, then get depressed and dont want to go on it because it makes me more depressed. Ive learned having a scale sucks but its hard to give it up. Wish I was more help but your not alone fighting with scale.
Kate

IceFishn replied to lostkate's response:
This is what I created in utter anxiety.. NOw I just got to use it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey, I'm Liz. :) I'm a self-employed dancer and real estate agent born, raised, and living in Las Vegas. I'm a tiny (4' 11") Ital...More

Helpful Tips

How to more easily read discussions
Exchanges provide a more dynamic way to keep up with ongoing discussions. But If you're finding how discussions and responses are ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.