Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
anorexia criteria
blyth87 posted:
Hi I was wondering if anyone could answer what the current medical criteria of anorexia nervosa is? I heard that it was to be updated.
I am a little confused. Say you met every criteria apart from you have regular periods would you be diagnosed as Anorexic or would you be diagnosed as EDNOS, and is EDNOS even medically recognized yet? Thankyou

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Blyth and welcome to WebMD,

I am no expert and so I don't have an answer for you (perhaps others here may have some thoughts to share) but my understanding of many conditions is what you don't necessarily have to meet every single criteria point in order to have that condition.

With Anorexia it's as much about the behavior and thought process as it is about the exact weight or whether you have your period of not. And whether it's exactly Anorexia or something else, if this is something that is part of your life, please get some help.

For some basic information, click on the following:

Anorexia Symptoms

Anorexia Nervosa
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. ~Christopher Robin to Pooh

Spotlight: Member Stories

Today, I am a 29 year old middle-school math teacher and am working on a PhD in Curriculum & Instruction part-time. I have been through a long emo...More

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.