Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hair Loss from Anorexia
abn102193 posted:
I'm almost 18 years old and I recovered from a mild case of anorexia about two years ago. My lowest weight was 113 pounds so it was never too bad but it would have gotten worse had I not gotten help early. Anyways, I'm completely fine mentally and physically at this point. My only issue is that my hair thinned out during my period of unhealthy eating habits and even though this was two years ago my hair has still not gotten back to its normal density on my scalp. From reading about hair loss online I figured that I have telogen effluvium, a temporary hair loss condition in women. However, this condition is supposed to heal within 6-12 months and it's already been two years so I was wondering what is the best way to deal with this and if anyone else who has struggled with an eating disorder has found a way to solve this problem. My hair loss is really only noticeable to myself unless I'm in a room with really bright lighting or if my hair is wet and I'm in the sun... it's really just something that makes me self conscious so I would like to figure out a solution.

megmo84 responded:
Hi abn102193 -- Thanks for the post. I've had a similar problem, but mine was with eyelash loss. Years ago I had eyelashes that belonged in a mascara commercial. They've thinned considerably even though I've gained weight, cut back on exercise, and improved my diet. Makes me sad. Hopefully my eyelashes will thicken with time. I look forward to hearing other's feedback.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Today, I am a 29 year old middle-school math teacher and am working on a PhD in Curriculum & Instruction part-time. I have been through a long emo...More

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.