Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1.Head over to this page:

    2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    how to talk
    An_239402 posted:
    I go back and forth from bulimia and anorexia. I have struggled with this for 4 years. I'll be fine for a few months, but one day I will end up looking in the mirror, and the battle starts all over. I know I need help, I'm scared of what is going to happen. I don't want to keep hurting myself. I want to tell my parents and get help, I'm just not really sure how to tell them. I really do not want them to be disappointed in me. So I guess my question is, how should I talk to my parents about this?
    Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi and welcome to WebMD,

    This board can be a bit quiet but keep checking back in for feedback from others when they get a chance to look in and respond.

    It might help others when they respond if you shared how old you are and whether you're still living at home with your parents.

    Good for you for being aware that it's time to get help for this.
    You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    ~Christopher Robin to Pooh
    lostkate responded:
    Hi, Welcome
    Like Caprice said this board has been very quiet. People do hear you and understand. I was in my twenties when my therapist actually told my parents. They had a hard time dealing with it but thats just my parents. They were always in denial with a lot of things with our family. Going to therapy may help you figure out a way to tell them. You have taken the first step, knowing its time to get help. You should be proud of yourself.

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    33 y.o. now, and was supposed to have ED behaviours kicked before I turned 29. I went to treatment immediately out of college and was in community wit...More

    Helpful Tips

    How to increase Font Size
    Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    11 of 21 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.