Skip to content
how to talk
An_239402 posted:
I go back and forth from bulimia and anorexia. I have struggled with this for 4 years. I'll be fine for a few months, but one day I will end up looking in the mirror, and the battle starts all over. I know I need help, I'm scared of what is going to happen. I don't want to keep hurting myself. I want to tell my parents and get help, I'm just not really sure how to tell them. I really do not want them to be disappointed in me. So I guess my question is, how should I talk to my parents about this?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome to WebMD,

This board can be a bit quiet but keep checking back in for feedback from others when they get a chance to look in and respond.

It might help others when they respond if you shared how old you are and whether you're still living at home with your parents.

Good for you for being aware that it's time to get help for this.
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

lostkate responded:
Hi, Welcome
Like Caprice said this board has been very quiet. People do hear you and understand. I was in my twenties when my therapist actually told my parents. They had a hard time dealing with it but thats just my parents. They were always in denial with a lot of things with our family. Going to therapy may help you figure out a way to tell them. You have taken the first step, knowing its time to get help. You should be proud of yourself.
Kate

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi everyone...I have struggled with anorexia for many, many years. I am 45 and have been through many treatment programs. The last one was in 2009.......More

Helpful Tips

How to increase Font Size
Hold down the Ctrl key and the plus sign key at the same time. Do this as many times as you need until you get to a font size that works ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.